Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement rubber fuel lines.

Replacement rubber fuel lines.

Question for the knowledgeable. I wish to replace all of the original rubber fuel lines on my 1973 911 (MFI car) due to the originals having lost all there elasticity aka hard as a rock. Would like to know the ID and OD of said lines and amount necessary to do a complete replacement. I'm asking because the shop taking care of my car doesn't have fuel line on the shelf so I will be ordering it for them to install. All input appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

7mm and 9mm. Cohline sells new OE appearing cloth covered lines. There's a large thread from a year or two ago on pelican about the new Cohline lines degrading and leaking after about a year. I don't know if this is still an issue or not...
    Ben
    2012 997 C2S Platinum Silver
    1972 911T Coupe Tangerine Sold
    2006 Cayman S Speed Yellow Sold

It sure is an issue. Cohline fabric covered fuel hose is not what it used to be, and the stuff they sell now is not good enough for an old 911.

As much as I loved the look of the fabric covered hose, I have changed to the modern Cohline 7,3mm hose, Cohline number 2240.0600 and 9,5mm 2240.0800 hose. This hose will take on modern BIO-fuel, heat and all.

Available here (Germany), if you canīt find it at your local supplier:
    7,3mm: (2.5 meters needed per car).
    https://www.hydraulikschlauch24.de/N...36mvq3f0e90sf1

9,3mm: (1.5 meters needed per car).
    https://www.hydraulikschlauch24.de/N...36mvq3f0e90sf1

Might just save your life.

Please note:
    You need 4.5mm hose for the cold start system, if you are replacing all fuel hoses.
    Use the correct Norma clamps for fuel hose.

Here is a great thread on fuel hose. Grady Clay at his best:
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...72t-mfi-2.html
    Last edited by ThomasTe; 08-18-2017 at 01:43 AM.
    Thomas
    1973 911S Targa

Makes me wonder if the ethanol laced fuels have something to do with their rapid deterioration?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    Makes me wonder if the ethanol laced fuels have something to do with their rapid deterioration?
    That is one issue.

The fabric covered hose from Cohline is not made of the same material as it used to be either. The spec for heat and pressure are way lower now than it used to be. Therefore it is no longer good enough.
    Thomas
    1973 911S Targa

Belmetric has ethanol resistant hose in stock, in metric sizes.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Belmetric...very user friendly, and will sell in small lots...1 meter minimum on their hoses. They are selling a German made metric multi fuel by Flennor. They have only one multi fuel with a cloth braided skin, the 7mm ID. All the other sizes have a smooth outer skin which is authentic for later (80s) cars.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    Belmetric...very user friendly, and will sell in small lots...1 meter minimum on their hoses. They are selling a German made metric multi fuel by Flennor. They have only one multi fuel with a cloth braided skin, the 7mm ID. All the other sizes have a smooth outer skin which is authentic for later (80s) cars.

Yes. Good people to work with. As for the lines I've used the smooth ones. Continental has braided fuel hose too but not sure where to buy it.
    We are fortunate enough to have ethanol-free fuels where I live. It's that or Sunoco Optima if they are going to "sit" for a while.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTe View Post
    As much as I loved the look of the fabric covered hose, I have changed to the modern Cohline 7,3mm hose, Cohline number 2240.0600 and 9,5mm 2240.0800 hose. This hose will take on modern BIO-fuel, heat and all.
    I also used Cohline 2240 and IMO this is the best solution. It is advertised as bio-fuel compatible because it has a Viton inner lining. Viton is highly resistant to most kinds of chemicals, including ethanol gasoline. The Cohline 2240 hose is very flexible too. Pelican carries the 7,3mm but not the 9,3mm. I couldn't find a source for the 9,3mm so I ended up using Gates Barricade hose in 3/8" which is 9,52mm. Gates keeps their rubber types secret but judging by the cost I'd guess it's not Viton. I recommend ordering the Cohline 9,3mm hose from Germany if needed. The Gates hose is quite stiff and would not make the turn over the steering rack as per factory. I had to route it below the rack. It's still protected by the skid plate, but less than ideal.
    Ben
    2012 997 C2S Platinum Silver
    1972 911T Coupe Tangerine Sold
    2006 Cayman S Speed Yellow Sold

Belmetric, as mentioned above has German Flennor multifuel BRAIDED in 6mm and 9mm ID.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series