Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handbrake Light not blinking

Handbrake Light not blinking

I am trying to troubleshoot brake warning light issues on a US model 1973.5T - looking at elec. diagram SL35 I cannot find where either of the brown/yellow wires goes thru any relay. Yet it is supposed to blink - and mine used to blink.

2nd question - I am wondering if there are any easily accessible elec. connectors where I can check things? I know there is one buried under the handbrake assembly but don't want to try taking that out...

Thx

I would not mess with the hand brake assembly. I have the same problem with my 68 911. Tech says plastic parts wear out over time and it is not a electric problem. You hand brake may need a rebuild which is not easy. On the other hand my 1970 car had the same problem and my tech climbed under the car and made a adjustment and it worked a little better but not like new. these cars are fast approaching 50 years old and this is what happens. chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

anybody know?

the light is now coming on intermittently while driving, which is very annoying, if not distracting

4-way blinkers, turn signals, headlights, hi-beam flasher and sunroof will turn it off momentarily - but rear defroster & heater blower will not

makes me suspect a bad gnd somewhere??

The handbrake warning light uses the flasher relay. If the ground provided by the handbrake switch is not strong enough I have found it won't flash reliably. However, if the light comes on with the handbrake off, then the most likely cause is the safety switch on the master cylinder. Easy to check, disconnect the wire there and see if the problem stops.

The switch on the handbrake is adjustable but difficult to remove and clean.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Quote Originally Posted by M_deJong View Post
    The handbrake warning light uses the flasher relay. If the ground provided by the handbrake switch is not strong enough I have found it won't flash reliably. However, if the light comes on with the handbrake off, then the most likely cause is the safety switch on the master cylinder. Easy to check, disconnect the wire there and see if the problem stops.

The switch on the handbrake is adjustable but difficult to remove and clean.
    Thanks. It seems the SL35 schematic is wrong - or my eyes are really really bad. Maybe I just need a new relay?

switch on master cylinder is the first thing I'd check...
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Quote Originally Posted by keith View Post
    switch on master cylinder is the first thing I'd check...
    Thx - will do that first

The wires seem ok going to the m/c under the suspension pan.

I replaced the relay with a "Wehrle" brand - it is supposed to be the correct replacement but is shorter. With it in the relay box buzzes nastily when I turn the key on.

Hella TBB44 was in there and may be original
    Wehrle 54 201 102 is the buzzing/sputtering unit

Any ideas about relays?

did you unplug the switch on the M/C?
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

no, not yet - it is a lot easier to try a different relay so I did that first

I'm not sure how to be certain it is the m/c brake switch and not the relay either