Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchase Advice

Purchase Advice

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been lurking and reading up a lot and the forum has been an invaluable source of information. I am in the market for an early car and I have a couple shortlisted in my radar. I would love to get advise on which one to go for and advice if I am in the right ball park for price

My goal for this car is to have a solid daily driver which can rail in the canyons and will be auto crossed 2-3 times a year

1. 1972 911 S:
    Price $100K
    Cosmetically 5-6/10
    Mechanicals 7.5/10
    The engine is a MFI 2.7 RS build by Brumos with 210 HP, twin oil coolers, has half roll cage and has original RS flares, trim and 7/8 fuchs. The engine and transmission are not original to the car. The interior doesnt have any original seats or steering wheels. The car drives very well (I drove it personally and enjoyed it immensely) and other than a few paint bubbles seems to be clean of rust. The paint is not original to the car

2. 1969 911 S:
    Price $80 - 90K
    Cosmetically 7.5/10
    Mechanically 8/10
    The one disadvantage of this car is that I havent yet driven it. It has a 2.5L ST build with Webers, narrow body with no flares. The engine seems to be a jewel..putting out 210HP. It has been with the current owner for 38 years and seems to be very well kept. I dont know if this is a numbers matching car. I honestly dont think it is numbers matching because the asking price seems too low for that

3. 1972 911 E:
    Price $105K
    Cosmetically 8/10
    Mechanicals 8/10
    Fully stock with the original paint, engine and transmission. I have driven it and its a more collectible sort of car with a good history. Honestly I like it a lot but I like to mess with my cars to make them that much more personal and I am afraid I wont touch it or drive it because its a bit of a time capsule

Would love your advice on which way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Paachi.

Paachi
    I would seriously consider looking at Paul Abbott's car. It's a yellow 67s with all the goodies. It is currently on bring a trailer. If interested I am sure you could call him. His website is performance oriented. His car is well known, well sorted, fits your requirements, and within your budget.
    Regards
    1962 356 S Cab gone
    1967 911S Coupe
    2008 RS60 Boxster gone
    1973.5 911T targa soft window Gone
    Runge 008 Gone
    2002 996 TT x-50 Gone
    2016 Boxster GTS pts gulf orange
    1969 912 SWT pts green

Can I be FRANK with you ?

Live everyday like it's your last .
    Eventually you'll be right.

3. 1972 911 E

E are much more driveable engines. Actually better drivers around town than an S model. Nothing is better than an S except in town driving. You said this is going to be a daily driver.

These cars more often than not will need attention. With the E you would have plenty of things
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

In my opinion 67 and 72 are the two best years for the S. I've owned both. It really depends on what you want to do with the car and what your driving style/experience is. The SWB cars are a lot of fun but can bite you if you're not careful. A properly setup 2.7 MFI in the right chassis is hard to beat. And also costly to build. 72S would be my vote.
    1976 Turbo Carrera

Thanks so much for the swift response guys. @Maverick yes I meant the 67 from Paul not 69 (typo). Seems to be very well setup. I will ping Paul and drive to Chico this weekend if he is amenable.

The 72 E is a nice car and in a good mechanical and cosmetic condition. The 72S though tired cosmetically seems pretty daily drivable when I drove it for an hour. It got up to 90 even before I realized it and kept pace with traffic at 65 in 5 th gear.

Myopic as it might seem I feel like if I am spending 90K+ for a car I want it to feel cosmetically atleast 3/4ths of the way there. On the 72S I think I will need to spend an additional 15K painting and doing up the interiors.

Le sigh!! But please do keep these inputs coming. God willing I will soon post back as a lucky owner of an early 911!!

Depending of course where they are a few rust bubbles usually means sill, lower lock post, rear quater panel, gas tank support replacement - if you are lucky. One doesnt generally come without the other....
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

Shift Knob Maker
    I can't speak to Paul's car personally, but I can to his character. I would seriously consider his car, as I am sure it is everything and probably more than he has described. Between his and Ed Mayo's work, I am sure it is top notch with no surprises. That one would be at the top of my list for sure, especially considering what you list that you are looking for.

Mark..

+1 for Paul Abbott's car...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Thanks very much for the inputs guys. I am going to Chico on Saturday to check out Paul's 67S. Fingers crossed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post

E are much more driveable engines. Actually better drivers around town than an S model. Nothing is better than an S except in town driving.
    Oy Vey...

With all due respect (and I mean that) this is a matter of subjective opinion that has been carried along by a sea of mob mentality. It's like saying an 84-89 3.2 is more "driveable" than a 4 speed 930. They each have their own +/- and it's simply a matter of taste.

Let's be honest here; most early 911 enthusiast's in-town driving is best described as boredom interrupted by short moments of controlled chaos. On the rare occasion that one wants to spank it I would personally rather feel the torque curve of the S.
    E cams remind me of an action movie without the action.

OP, Hope you strike a deal with Paul. You won't buy an early 911 from a nicer guy.