Thread: Luggage area paint colour question

Luggage area paint colour question

The front end of mar car has been prettz much rebuilt, the next question is what colour should i paint it? My car is currently a Porsche 356 silver colour (code 6206). However, it was originally Tangerine (code 2323). I would like to get the whole car repainted tangerine, but given that my minor rust repair has turned into a significant (ie expensive) restoration project, that will have to wait a bit.

I've been reading quite a lot of online content regarding what the factory did at the time. Given my car is a 70T (April build, so also 70MY), it was built in the Karmann factory. From what I've read, Karmann painted the body in the exterior colour, but the inner wings, bonnet and engine bays were black. I've read other posts that state that there was overspray in these areas from the main body painting, but they were painted black satin over the overspray.

During the stripping, it would appear that there is a layer of Tangerine colour in the luggage area, then Albert Blue and black on top, possibly with black over the original tangerine.

Here's some of the reference sites, there is a lot of conflicting information from people who swear their car has never been repainted.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums ... 36161.html
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bo ... k-eng.html

So, given that the Tangerine would be overpainted black and won't be seen if I do go ahead with that, I could get the inner wings and engine bay painted tangerine and then painted black on top.... However, it is possible that my car has been resprayed more than the 3 times I know about, so I'm interested in thoughts regarding spraying; should I:

1) Assume that there was only some overspray from the main body painting and not worry about the original tangerine at all.
    2) Paint the inner wings black but the boot tangerine, which would obviously look bad until I repaint the rest of the car.
    3) Artificially put some tangerine overspray in the boot, then paint it black on top.

If there is any definitive confirmation of what the factory did, then I would like to know and will probably go ahead with that.

Many thanks
    Paul

I'm not sure what your question is, so here is a picture if a '69 Karmann coupe in Tangerine. No overspray of body color visible in the trunk itself, but a little of the body color is noticeable on the metal rim to which the weatherstripping is glued. Chipping of the black paint that has occurred over the years definitely shows that the trunk (as well as the engine compartment) was painted tangerine (body color) before the black was applied.
    The second picture is of an engine compartment before any work was done and gives a fairly good impression of how sparingly the black paint might have been applied in areas that would not be seen.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by ejboyd5; 08-24-2017 at 11:33 AM.

91101211xx tangerine karmann built
    black eng bay
    black eng lid and trunk hinges
    black trunk
    black rear and front wheel housings
    minor black overspray on the rear section of the floor pan--floor pan otherwise with minor tangerine overspray on the greyish schutz
    all done of course after the tangerine

Many thanks all,

I will go with tangerine for the inner wings and luggage area and then overspray with black.

Regards
    Paul