Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need shift rod coupling help 1970S

Need shift rod coupling help 1970S

I have a 1970 911S, recently I decided to rebuild/replace the shift rod coupling. I ordered the Weltmeister replacement bushings however they were just a little bit too big. So I decided to just go ahead and replace the coupling with a new one which was supposedly from the OEM provider but not Porsche. The new coupling goes on the transmission rod as it should but the knurled rod to the shifter where the clamp is located will not fit into the shift rod. It is too big. The knurled rod on my original coupling is approximately 14.98mm while the knurled rod on the new coupling is approximately 16.33mm. I have owned the car since 1981 so I am certain my coupling is the original. In speaking with some of the parts suppliers I understand that the 1970 models may be unique with regard to this issue. Does anyone have a source or suggestions or recommendations on where to get the appropriate coupling for my car? Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmog View Post
    I have a 1970 911S, recently I decided to rebuild/replace the shift rod coupling. I ordered the Weltmeister replacement bushings however they were just a little bit too big. So I decided to just go ahead and replace the coupling with a new one which was supposedly from the OEM provider but not Porsche. The new coupling goes on the transmission rod as it should but the knurled rod to the shifter where the clamp is located will not fit into the shift rod. It is too big. The knurled rod on my original coupling is approximately 14.98mm while the knurled rod on the new coupling is approximately 16.33mm. I have owned the car since 1981 so I am certain my coupling is the original. In speaking with some of the parts suppliers I understand that the 1970 models may be unique with regard to this issue. Does anyone have a source or suggestions or recommendations on where to get the appropriate coupling for my car? Thanks for any help.
    Anybody that claims a 70 shift coupler is any different or "special" than a earlier or later one, for that matter, is smoking crack. The Weltmeister bushings are not the greatest but they do fit with a bit of elbow grease. They are different than the originals because they do not allow for any play but they work fine. Pictured are 3 different styles of couplers. Any one of which will fit your car. The one that should be in your car is the one on the right in the top picture and one the left in the bottom picture. I also took a picture of the bushings that we sell. They don't allow for any play, either.

Regards

Jim
    PS: I would suggest that you find a different set of suppliers!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I had the same problem with the original bushes in my 72 about 18 months ago. I bought genuine bushes from Porsche and they were about 1mm too big (dia). I ended up cutting a slot in them to allow them to fit. (This slightly tightened up the ellipse.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Anybody that claims a 70 shift coupler is any different or "special" than a earlier or later one, for that matter, is smoking crack. The Weltmeister bushings are not the greatest but they do fit with a bit of elbow grease. They are different than the originals because they do not allow for any play but they work fine. Pictured are 3 different styles of couplers. Any one of which will fit your car. The one that should be in your car is the one on the right in the top picture and one the left in the bottom picture. I also took a picture of the bushings that we sell. They don't allow for any play, either.

Regards

Jim
    PS: I would suggest that you find a different set of suppliers!
    Are these used to rebuild the original?
    If so how much ?
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun

Does anyone know why the factory used bushings with ellipses in the center hole. The ellipses would appear to cause excess slop in the forward and aft shifts, say 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd, ect. Any downside to using bushings that have round center holes. Rob

I've read that it is to eliminate any fore/aft engine/trans movement from moving the shift rod/lever.

When the bushings fit tightly you will think something is wrong with the transaxle because of the noises being transferred . I think the shift lever and rod may preload things a bit and help create extra noises .
    From my experience you want movement at the bushings .

this is something my mechanic told me.not my own experience
    the round holes/non play bushings can under certain driving condition pull the trans out of gear..... i.e. reving the engine

Quote Originally Posted by 30westrob View Post
    Does anyone know why the factory used bushings with ellipses in the center hole.
    This type of coupling first appeared in 1961 with the 356B, replacing the previous bonded rubber version. A service bulletin introducing the new coupling mentions a reduction of noise in the shifting mechanism.
    I think the main reason for the play in the bushings was to reduce vibrations in the linkage and shift lever, which would create unwanted noise.
    The play probably makes the linkage less sensitive to movements that might pull the transmission out of gear, although I've never seen this given as a reason by Porsche.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Thanks all, for the good info. Rob