Thread: 2.2T engine part identification

2.2T engine part identification

I'm doing some work on my original '70 2.2T engine, mainly inspecting it and some cosmetic work as the engine itself is in good shape. Its not in the car at the moment and I'm thinking about buying a long term RHD restoration project and putting my 3.2SS into the project prior to selling my current car (or maybe I'll just keep them both). According to the PO, the original engine has S cams installed. From what I've read, the 03 on the end of the cam, confirms that it is an S cam. Please let me know if that is not correct.The car is still running the original Zenith carbs.

Name:  IMG_1234.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  87.7 KB

Without pulling the engine apart completely, I'm trying to work out if the PO went any further than the cams and installed a counterweighted crank too and S P&C's. Is there any easy way of identifying the crank or the P&C's externally? I don't have current contact details for the PO, so can't ask him. When I bought the car, I didn't realise that the T didn't have a counterweighted crank. Here's a couple of pics, unfortunately the part number is worn, so I can't tell. Are there any other signs that would differentiate the crank or P&C's without stripping the engine down?

Name:  IMG_1245 2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  64.1 KB

I can't see inside the engine either:
    Name:  IMG_1242.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  168.6 KB

Thanks
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by PMNorris View Post
    From what I've read, the 03 on the end of the cam, confirms that it is an S cam. Please let me know if that is not correct.
    Paul, the 03 stamps on the rear identifies your cams as T, not S.
    I have a pair of 2.2T cams with 03 stamps and early 70 dates, billet numbers 901.105.133.OR and 901.105.134.OR.

Your chain tensioners are probably original to that engine, and should be replaced.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Stock cylinders on a '70T were cast iron and so the fins should show oxidation. S p/c's were aluminum and will look silver, not brown. Easy to tell this difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Stock cylinders on a '70T were cast iron and so the fins should show oxidation. S p/c's were aluminum and will look silver, not brown. Easy to tell this difference.
    Thanks,
    Mine are oxidised, so T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    Paul, the 03 stamps on the rear identifies your cams as T, not S.
    I have a pair of 2.2T cams with 03 stamps and early 70 dates, billet numbers 901.105.133.OR and 901.105.134.OR.

Your chain tensioners are probably original to that engine, and should be replaced.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Thanks Jon, there is a lot of conflicting information on the internet (I found the point about the 03 marking on the Pelican BBS). But, thanks for clarifying. Its possible that the cams were reground. The engine has clearly been maintained as the chain ramps look hardly warn, but I'll look into replacing the tensioners.

Paul