Thread: What goes under the headliner of '66 and does it even matter?

What goes under the headliner of '66 and does it even matter?

Folks,

just working on a headliner of my Irish green '66 I realized I have no picture of what was under: I found some 1cm thick foam with jute backing on one side, is that what is it supposed to be there? If not, what is supposed to be there and where?

Martin

Yes that sounds correct.

The idea is that the headliner bows press into the surface of the foam backed hessian and are held so that they don't rotate or move around, which they may well do if the car is driven on bumpy road surfaces.

If you don't fit some form of backing they may move and the seams may then look unsightly.

We have been reproducing this material for several years but the cost of shipping in terms of weight and volume is prohibitive.

If you make some up then be sure to stick it to the roof with a High Temperature Adhesive.

If you use a cheap spray glue it will come unstuck in the summer and cause a problem.

We have used this adhesive to stick on these panels for several years and never had one fall down.

http://www.as-trim.co.uk/index.php?m...products_id=55

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephyrin View Post
    Folks,

just working on a headliner of my Irish green '66 I realized I have no picture of what was under: I found some 1cm thick foam with jute backing on one side, is that what is it supposed to be there? If not, what is supposed to be there and where?

Martin
    Here's what came out of my 65 911, 1744. It's 28.75" x 33.5" (w); 0.25" thick. It can't weight more than a pound. You can clearly see where the bows press into the surface for support. It was lightly glued in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

It is amazing that you got that out in one piece mine was a broken up into very small pieces .

Thank you for the measurement!
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by CDOUGLEHMAN View Post
    It is amazing that you got that out in one piece mine was a broken up into very small pieces .

Thank you for the measurement!
    When cornering fairly hard I hear what I've suspected is a piece of this pad sliding across the headliner. Everything looks fine though and I'm really hesitant to do anything about it.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

Thank you for the inputs. To make it a bit more challenging, how does the sunroof change the scheme of things? Is there any foam used when sunroof is part of equation?

Martin

There are no headliner bows when you have a sunroof so there is not need for the foam backed pad.
    Last edited by chris_seven; 09-18-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephyrin View Post
    Thank you for the inputs. To make it a bit more challenging, how does the sunroof change the scheme of things? Is there any foam used when sunroof is part of equation?

Martin
    there is just a thin layer of foam glued to the sunroof pan.
    Attached Images Attached Images