Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1967 911 "S" Rearview Mirror - What is Actually Correct?

1967 911 "S" Rearview Mirror - What is Actually Correct?

As I approach the final turn of my 1967 911S restoration, it's really coming down to details. I've recently acquired a correct cigarette lighter, hazard switch (although my car is an Italian delivery and didn't come with one originally - so it may end up for sale here)...but what I'm still confused about is the rearview mirror.

Every 67 S I've seen has the chrome stalk with the black plastic mirror. As many of you know it was a one-year only affair. My car has the regular mirror that I've seen on the non-S models. That being said, my restorer, John Esposito, sent me an old thread that says:

"there were literlally three mirrors delivered on '67 911S cars. Early production cars got the polished stainless housing with a smooth shiney flipper...virtually identical to the 356 C mirror and on all '65-'67 normal 911s and 912s. There was a plastic mirror with pebble graining and a smooth flipper mounted on a chrome stalk like all the earlier mirrors. Then a late plastic with the ridged flipper and a stalk that had a short round extension on the mirror end to move the larger mirror away from the windshield."

So apparently it depends on when the car was manufactured as well?

Anybody have additional light they might shed on this increasingly "Anorak" subject...

Ben S.

I believe there are two stalk variants (one bulky and one with an extension) and one accepted mirror body/flipper for a 67 (the plastic pebble grain and ridge-less flipper).

They're hard to find...I have only found one and it isn't a great specimen.

Anything other than that will leave you with an uphill battle trying to explain that what you have decided to put on your car is correct based on production.

Good luck in your search. If you find two...please let me know about the one you pass on ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBen View Post
    As I approach the final turn of my 1967 911S restoration, it's really coming down to details. I've recently acquired a correct cigarette lighter, hazard switch (although my car is an Italian delivery and didn't come with one originally - so it may end up for sale here)...but what I'm still confused about is the rearview mirror.

Every 67 S I've seen has the chrome stalk with the black plastic mirror. As many of you know it was a one-year only affair. My car has the regular mirror that I've seen on the non-S models. That being said, my restorer, John Esposito, sent me an old thread that says:

"there were literlally three mirrors delivered on '67 911S cars. Early production cars got the polished stainless housing with a smooth shiney flipper...virtually identical to the 356 C mirror and on all '65-'67 normal 911s and 912s. There was a plastic mirror with pebble graining and a smooth flipper mounted on a chrome stalk like all the earlier mirrors. Then a late plastic with the ridged flipper and a stalk that had a short round extension on the mirror end to move the larger mirror away from the windshield."

So apparently it depends on when the car was manufactured as well?

Anybody have additional light they might shed on this increasingly "Anorak" subject...

Ben S.
    we have been through this a tousand times...

once again(and for the last time) my observation

early 67s had normal stem with extension and plastic housing(dimpel surface,edgy rim,day night switch without bulge)
    later 67s had a one year only edgy stem + same housing as above.
    never seen a untouched 67S with chrome housing mirror---some say they have seen this
    all my literature/magazines from 1966+67 show plastic housing.

I have an original 67S poster that clearly shows a chrome mirror. It is the well known large fold out with the Fuchs wheel on the front and 911S in black. A factory poster issued at dealers to promote the new 67 911S. It features a red 67S coupe, blk/pepita and a dude with driving gloves and is dated 9/66. Multiple photos show the chrome mirror. So I'm going with the chrome version because my car was built early in Sept. '66, 305XXX. How can I go wrong?
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

My 3054xxS has the one Franz described for the early 67s. I've seen other examples of brochures showing pre-production setups differentiating from the actual configuration.

You cant always trust to period brochures but here my input.

The earlist picture of a 67S might be number plate S-KK 579, as its featured in the first press document, dated July 28th 1966. clearly a pre-production 67S.
    Name:  IMG_0845.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0847.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0843.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0844.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  48.1 KB

-

Here a period photo (detail), undated but it was included in a belgium pricelist from late August 1967.
    Name:  IMG_0842.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  28.3 KB

-

The photo with the "chrome" mirror (reflection in glass ? - note the guy is reflected too and in general, pics in that brohure are highly retouched and enhanced) , the well known 67S brochure. They existed in two variants, the more common folder as well as the rare luxury brochure. Dated as September 66, shot taken probably in summer 66.
    The red 67S pictured in the brochure is actually today in France. This is the only pic where a "chromed" mirror might be documented, not seen on the other press car/pre-production 67S with number plate S-KK 579.
    Name:  IMG_0838.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0839.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  47.8 KB

-

Here another period shot, Car and Driver, issue January 67.
    Name:  IMG_0840.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  67.7 KB

-

And here a detail shot of the 911 Normale and 912 cars, dated September 66.
    Note one can sense its matt plastic but sun reflection makes it almost as chrome.
    Name:  IMG_0841.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  44.5 KB

-

Promotional postcards, showing the two cars, US market postcard above, RoW below.
    Name:  IMG_0850.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  41.6 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 09-14-2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Precisions in quote
    Registry member No.773

Karim, I agree. And believe me after almost 50 Porsches I have seen anomalies and configurations that defy logic. "How can I go wrong" was meant tongue in cheek. I do not have a black mirror and will not lose sleep over it. Remember Porsche is the home of the running change and whatever part was on top went on the car. That is not to argue the point but a fact is a fact. I once owned the second T2 356A speedster. A steel paneled GT. It was clearly a T2 VIN but had most of the hallmarks of a T1. Of all the Porsches I have owned it was clearly most striking example of their frugality and the running change.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Agree too. They never threw things away, possible it was taken from older stock.
    Digging into period literature, i learn as much as others when pictures are found.
    Registry member No.773

Two other nice factory pictures currently for sale

No mirror, but also a very nice picture:

Last edited by Adore911; 09-15-2017 at 08:23 AM.

^^^^Nice!
    Not visible because of reflection, but can be seen on page 74, Brian Long ´63-´71 (black plastic)

Name:  H-1 driving lights.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  148.2 KB
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery