Thread: Hardi HZP fuel pump parts

Hardi HZP fuel pump parts

Hi all,

I’m restarting (after several years of pause) the “concour restoration” of my car and would like to save the original Hardi HZP fuel pump. It was still working till year 2004 and the entrance in lethargy of the car.

I’ve some questions regarding that fuel pump installed in my 1968 2.0S (engine will be 2.0S in original setup with Weber 40IDA).

Is it possible to replace the diaphragm? It seems still to be in good shape but I prefer of course to replace it… If not possible to find a new one, any experience / risk of leak keeping the “old one” and re-use it after 15 years of non-activity? Same for the breaker points, is it possible to find new ones ?

Name:  Fuel_pump.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  41.1 KB

I guess that I can trust the workshop manual for diaphragm and point setup.... Any advices are welcome.

Last thing is it normal that it’s soo noisy? I guess that with running engine the noise will be covered but at low RPM not ;-)

Thanks a lot in advance,

Frederic
    Belgium
    VW KG T14 1973
    356 AT2 Coupe 1959
    911 2.0S Coupe 1968

Welcome Frederic!

PET '65-'69 911 Fig. 2-01-20, #02 901.608.912.00 Diaphragm Qty: 1 PCNA List 2017: $27.66
    Name:  911_65-69_Fig2-01-20_HardiPump.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  44.9 KB

Pelican Parts had new ones a couple years ago.....not a hot item. They might still have them.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

I asked Porsche Belgium + local parts dealers and ... nothing available anymore (diaphragm nor point breakers).
    Meaning that the safest solution is to buy an new Hardi 8812-3 fuel pump (nearly the same specifications as the old one).

Regards,

Fred

Fred

I went through this project a couple of years ago. I managed to get some NOS diaphragms direct from Porsche (strangely there had shown none in stock previously then suddenly a few appeared on stock, I can only guess they were returned from a dealers shelves?), the contact point sets were NOS from Retro Automotive Products in the USA but don't think they have any left, whilst the clear caps were again direct from Porsche (I think I got the last ones, if you need a new clear cap let me know because I think I have one or two left). So the bits are around but it is a bit hit and miss tracking them down!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the informations. My clear cap is still ok.
    Despite my diaphragm and points are still ok, I prefer to replace it in case off... If you can locate these parts please tell me ;-)

Regards,

Fred

Any caps still available, please PM me if you are willing to let one go.

Hi Tim,

I just finished the rebuilding of my Hardi fuel pump (deep cleaning and control from all the parts, zinc plating, paint...).
    I used the initial setup of the diaphragm from the workshop manual: screw the rod till the points just open when pushing the diaphragm up then turn back counter clock wise from 300° + points at 1,2mm.

When testing the system with water, input - output at same height (but I don't know if my test method is ok), I have 1200cc in 1 min (instead of 900cc in workshop manual). Also when installing a pressure jauge just at the exit of the pump, no more flow passing, I'm a 6psi (which is above the recommended pressure but again don't know if my test method is ok).

As you rebuilt several pumps, what did you use as setup or testing method ?

Name:  20171021_143940.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  27.1 KB

Regards,

Fred

Hi Fred

I am afraid I was the 'project manager', finding the parts etc..... I will forward your post to the guy who did the work for me and see if I can get some background detail on his set up/testing work.

Pump looks excellent, congratulations.
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167