Thread: my hood pops open on the road

my hood pops open on the road

The hood on my 71 T will pop open to the catch whenever I hit a nice bump. Trying to figure how to fine tune either the upper or lower latch to correct this. When I shut it manually all good and fully latched down, it is just when I hit a bump that it pops open to the catch. Any tips for adjustment appreciated

Review this first and see how your latch compares...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ures-Requested
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thx for the link, will check this over the wknd. Car as 150k + on it, wear may be the culprit, although I just had the complete latch rebuilt/replated. Stay tuned

During the restoration of my 1972 S a new SC front slam panel was used, with a new bonnet. I had the same problem and was told its differences in the placement of the latches.

be aware that if the release cable is too tight it will pop open BUT it will also pop open if the cable is too loose. The mechanism works in such a way that it will pop the hood if the release cable breaks. This makes the use of an emergency release (a la 356) no longer necessary - BUT it requires a very accurate adjustment.

~J~
    air cooled only

I had a similar problem until I found the latch panel was replaced and almost an inch back from its original location... The top part was bent to meet the misplaced bottom latch- what a mess.
    The stars aligned and a small issue put the car in the shop for a fender repair and the panel was r&r and it is perfect now.

One thing I did was to install 3 thin stainless steel washers between the cabin latch pull and the cable stop.
    Now after I get the latch lined up using a drift in the hole and getting the mechanism in agreement I can simply remove or add a washer to fine tune the operation of the fail-safe latch.
    It isn't original but it is hidden and makes for a simple and exact setting of the latch mechanism.