Thread: slugish starting

slugish starting

Even though I have a trickle charger on my dual battery 70 911; leaving it for a couple of weeks, come in and start it with a slow a sluggish starter motor. Once it is running; the car starts fine. It seems my charger is not up to the job. My SWB with the trickle charger starts up nice and fast. So I do not know if it is the battery or the charger? Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Try an Optima battery. My car starts like it's on steroids now.
    1966 911 coupe, Granite Green

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    Even though I have a trickle charger on my dual battery 70 911; leaving it for a couple of weeks, come in and start it with a slow a sluggish starter motor. Once it is running; the car starts fine. It seems my charger is not up to the job. My SWB with the trickle charger starts up nice and fast. So I do not know if it is the battery or the charger? Chris
    Since the charger keeps your SWB battery up it is not the charger. You either have weak batteries or a weak starter. Have your batteries load tested. Of course this all assumes that there are no wiring or connection problems.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yes it could be connection problems as I am 2miles from the beach. But I will look at the starter as I think it is original from 1970. thanks Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Possibly a weak contact in the ignition switch. I'd start with the starter and battery but don't forget the switch if those don't work.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #