Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Buffum 1st Porsche?

I am sure he will.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesch View Post
    Hello All,
    Time for a long overdue update on this project.
    As forecasted, the restoration is taking longer than expected as life and other projects from both of us (ci-owners) are taking some time and ressources...
    However, the body is now almost done, we are still not yet decided if we paint the exterior before or after reassembly of the suspension bits...
    Here are some pictures as said to worth thousands words:

The body has been stopped by high pressure water blasting, here’s one of the only good pictures of the result, we can see the holes for the rally lights on the hood:
    Attachment 529675

The original chalk number has been kept protected all the way from blasting to painting:
    Attachment 529674

And the finished bits:

Attachment 529676

Lucas the co-owner went through a lot of research to et the finishing right:

Attachment 529678
    Attachment 529680
    Attachment 529681

Next step will be to give some love to the suspension components, still hesitating between powder coating for durability or some more original finishing...
    Powder coat in primer; top finish traditional paint.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Powder coat in primer; top finish traditional paint.
    That's a good idea we're going to investigate.

Regarding the original pictures from 1966 I mentioned, J.B. requested me to keep them private an I'll respect his decision.
    He's already been extremely nice taking time to scan and send them.
    All I can tell, is that this car was a factory delivery, as there is an oval plate hidden behind the VT font plate...
    From the Kardex the car has been handled though AMAG, maybe because they were not oficially imported in US in 1965.
    ESR Member: #3430
    John-Buffum-1st-Porsche ?

John was in the service in Germany during that time period, and one of his best friends at the time was Jurgen Barth, so a factory delivery was probable.

Zoll Plates + AMAG

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    . . . one of his best friends at the time was Jurgen Barth, so a factory delivery was probable . . .
    Is there a Händler number listed on the Kardex? There are codes that denote Faktory delivery

. . . All I can tell, is that this car was a factory delivery, as there is an oval plate hidden behind the VT font plate . . .
    Hm. Sounds like a 'Zoll' plate --- temporary plates fitted to any car operating in Germany pending export

. . . From the Kardex the car has been handled though AMAG, maybe because they were not officially imported in US in 1965 . . .
    Hm. Never heard about Porsches not being 'officially imported' into the US, in '65 --- some of the oldest 911s in existance are here . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ghlight=300010
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...light=brundage

But AMAG is Porsche's exclusive Swiss Importer. Have you contacted them? . . .
    https://www.amag.ch/en.html

. . . because they would have records of any vehicle they've imported

HtH

Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, I read J.B. answer a bit too fast and he actuelly doesn't mind that I share the pictures so here they are:

We can see the german Zoll plate (thank you LongRanger) behind the VT one :

Name:  66 Front.PNG
Views: 407
Size:  1.36 MB

Looks like he pulled over to capture 911 miles on the odometer:

Name:  66 Interior 1.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  59.8 KB

How cool is that to receive pictures from the ealy life of a car over 50 years ago !!!
    We'll never be thankful enough to him!

Knowing John I didn’t think he would mind.....He is still a Porsche enthusiast, not to mention he is one of the best rally drivers ever.

Gotta like those Talbot fender mounted mirrors.

Knowing John I didn’t think he would mind.....He is still a Porsche enthusiast, not to mention he is one of the best rally drivers ever.
    Yes, he's a legend an a rue enthusiast, I hope I get to meet him soon.
    I missed the opportunity last year during historic Monte Carlo where he drove a replica of the car he raced there in 1969.
    I was stuck in an hotel on one of the most famous special stage (st Bonnet) due to 1m of snow fall during the night. Then when I managed to leave the hotel I went to wait for him at concentration point and he broke his engine two stages earlier... But that was quite of a nice adventure...

Gotta like those Talbot fender mounted mirrors.
    We are still hesitating on putting them back where they were... we are still hesitating about the rally light too ...

With a car that I call historically significant, I would leave the rally look for sure. Bottom line though is that it is your car and you can restore it anyway you wish.