Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who loves a 26R?.....I do

who loves a 26R?.....I do

some of his words also apply to driving our early cars:

pure fun

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ws&date=101417

Thumbs up

Nice vid....

If I didn't get into Early 911's I'd be in an Elan for sure.... In fact I'd was into'm way before 911's... but had no money for either at the time...

An audio engineer friend of mine had one of the first S1's imported... I met him race'n around up on 'Mulholand' in '69 after he drove it all the way from Detroit to CA. He said the only break he had on that trip was when the distributor fell out of the car around Arizona... He never found it but found a junkyard with an old Anglia, that old little ford's distributor got'm the rest of the way.....

He had it down to about 1340 lbs. and had John Shankle (Alfa/Lotus/F-Ford race engine builder) build him a 'loose street engine' at about an honest 155 HP.....

I was a kid who grew up on Van Nuys Blvd. in the '60's and had ridden in some hard hitting street drag cars, with a lot of HP...
    NOTHING prepared me for 1340 lbs. w/155 HP, w/my ass 3 inches off the pavement, and go'n around turns...
    When you hit that little Elan it flat stopped your breathing and pushed you in the seat so you just couldn't move... It was nothing I experienced before... and seldom experienced after....

Today there are Elan's and other twin cam ultra light cars out on the street with well over 200 + HP... I could only imagine...

Sorry for all the 'wind'........... Yeah I like these cars.....

- One of my favorite local vintage cars....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

My newest project. It's a fun car to play with. Relatively inexpensive to buy and parts are also cheap. But what's missing is a registry and community like this one.
    project.jpg
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

Chuck: great story......thanx

I think Leno's got a big hp one as well......I recall reading about his build

Eaton: nice pair u got there.

If you ever want to really appreciate the build quality of your Porsche, do some work on an Elan.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '76 Alfa Spider

Thumbs up

Took my '67 Chevy Malibu to a Hot Rod Night at the local Bob's Jr. up the street last week... Some of the only pics I took were these....
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

so handsome....

There's a nice-looking green S2 like the one above for sale on BAT this week. RHD though.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-lotus-elan-s2-2/
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '76 Alfa Spider

Thumbs up

Chris O'Donnell was a member of our Early 911 community (he's been MIA for a long time) that virtually had a lock on his Solo 2 class in his modified Elan for about 5 years from the late '90's to the early 2000's....... I remember see'n his cool car and name in very early issues of Grass Roots Motor Sports.

During one of our Early 911 events the subject of Lotus Elan's came up and he said he used to slalom one pretty successfully... I then put two and two together and asked he was the Chris who had the crazy white Elan that I saw in the magazine years before... He said GUILTY...

Years later I saw him at another Porsche event and he said he dusted off his old stored Elan and rebuilt it with almost 300 HP
    He then said he took it around the parking lot of his warehouse and it scared him SO bad that he stored again ... maybe to this day...

Here's a crappy magazine pic from the late '90's...............
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Banned
    When I think 26R there is one name that comes to mind:

Nick Ham

One of the most talented guys I've ever raced against.