Thread: ‘Day Away From Work’ last Monday….

Thumbs up ‘Day Away From Work’ last Monday….

I entered the PCA Long Beach region’s annual ‘Day Away From Work’ event at the Streets of Willow last Monday…

They were running the track counterclockwise with 4 classes with just over 60 entrants…

I also talked my friend James into going out as a novice with me instructing him in his ’79 back-date cool flat green hot rod… Also our own Registry Creative Director Eric Williams came out with his beautiful gold ’73 hot rod…

I ran 4 sessions, and instructed James on 3…

Eric and I started off in the ‘red’ group and soon realized we were way outgunned…
    There was a time when you could do a club event and competently drive a well sorted early car in the ‘fast’ group and keep up and even beat some lesser driven newer and faster cars… Well at this event these were well driven, really new, really fast cars….. Live and learn...

For our next 3 sessions we dropped down a class and really had a GREAT time chase’n each other….

James did really well picking up confidence and speed in the rest of his sessions….

Also our friend and novice Joe Maxwell did REALLY well in his silver early hot rod….

We didn’t hang for the timed laps at the end of the day… but went over to the ‘big track’ for some ‘after the track’ photos…

Then went with Eric and Lars to the local Mexican restaurant/watering hole for big dinner and a well deserved bloody marry….

Oh... The last 7 'good' photos are from CaliPhotography....

Fun, fun, fun.............

Cheers,
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 10-21-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Is that green car the one that got hammered by the drunk driver in burbank? If so, I am SHOCKED at how fast it came back together considering how hammered it was...

Looks like you guys had a blast!
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

looks like a great day Chuck!!
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Thumbs up

Is that green car the one that got hammered by the drunk driver in burbank?
    It is....

Looks like you guys had a blast!
    We did....

Should've come up bud....
    Yeah I know, some of you have to work on'a Monday...

Fun day

Took off the numbers, loosened the front shocks one turn, put up the radio antenna... and was ready to go to dinner...........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Excellent photos - good to see that someone was having fun while we were pushing paper back and forth across the desk...

Gburner
    Blue and Gold sharpening their knives for the next SOW R Gruppe day.