Thread: VIN Decoder?

VIN Decoder?

Hello all,

Super new here. Loving this forum/resource!

Curious if there is a trusted resource I can use to identify VIN and/or part numbers. I have a case/motor I'd like to know date of manufacture etc. I was also impressed at how my mechanic could look at the stamp on my wheels and tell me when they were made and what they came off of. These decoder games seem fun to me.

Thank all,
    Angelo

Just send me the details, and if that isn't enough I can guide you along. Many online decoders are plain wrong.
    Dave
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

This may help depending on car type and years.

Name:  1ed395b8_3da5_4341_bdd8_99a668d419c5_15cc780b8e716fa1d96254867406483e7fbc950e[1].jpeg
Views: 232
Size:  148.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by acolle View Post
    Hello all,

Super new here. Loving this forum/resource!

Curious if there is a trusted resource I can use to identify VIN and/or part numbers. I have a case/motor I'd like to know date of manufacture etc. I was also impressed at how my mechanic could look at the stamp on my wheels and tell me when they were made and what they came off of. These decoder games seem fun to me.

Thank all,
    Angelo
    Angelo, what year and model is your car?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Angelo, what year and model is your car?
    The car is a 73E, ordered with S parts/pieces. Production completion date was 05/1973. I'm trying to identify what year the 3.2 (currently in the car) came from. They swapped the motor in the 90s after someone threw a rod. I do have the original number matching 2.4 motor with a nice hole in the case... This will be a project down the road as I hear they might be able to fix this stuff now. No idea if any of that is true. Anyhow. It's the 3.2 I'm looking to date. But I think the info Grimmy posted will get me what I need. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Just send me the details, and if that isn't enough I can guide you along. Many online decoders are plain wrong.
    Dave
    Looks like the case numbers put it in the 64F00001>10000 zone.
    Says this would be from an 85 Carrera (USA)(CDN)(J)/M298
    EC 930.21
    HP 207
    LTR 3.2

Sound about right?

Noting the challenges with online decoders, this gets you a little closer…

https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100