Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My Own Personal Barn Find: My 1968 911L

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Thank you, my L is an US version. And tanks to the pictures you posted as example, as I believed the US emission plaque would be fired with rivets, it looks like to be glued.
    Having an emission plaque for the US version makes sense of course.

I am waiting a bit for some expert to shime in, but I guess I will shortly add one plaque more to my car :-)

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by 911L Guy View Post
    Hey Xavier - Great question. I know that my uncle never resprayed that part of the car so those plaques have been there since at least 1972, so I am almost certain that these 2 plaques are correct for a US-delivered 911 in 1968.

In looking into this more, I think this is a difference between US-delivered 1968’s and ROW cars. Remember that the 911S was not allowed into the US in 1968 due to emissions rules, so there was no ‘68 S in the US. Instead, Porsche took the the 911S and dropped a standard engine into it to make the 1-year only 911L in the US with the full S-spec minus the engine, complete with a smog pump (which I and pretty much everyone else have removed). I have a suspicion that the emissions compliance plaque was required for US 911’s in 1968 but not likely for ROW cars. In doing a quick online search on a bunch of different 1968’s, I see that the US cars have the 2 plaques while the European cars have just the paint code and chassis number plaque.

Here are a few of the pics I found to support my theory, but I’d love to have the experts here weight in to clarify
    ../..
    Last edited by Xavier PJB; 08-25-2021 at 03:52 AM.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier PJB View Post
    Thank you, my L is an US version. And tanks to the pictures you posted as example, as I believed the US emission plaque would be fired with rivets, it looks like to be glued.
    Having an emission plaque for the US version makes sense of course.

I am waiting a bit for some expert to shime in, but I guess I will shortly add one plaque more for my car :-)

Xavier
    Yeah, we both need an expert to weigh in on this one to confirm my Google-sourced theory!

In the meantime, since you’ve got a US L as well, can you help me with my other question below from post #49 on the location of your coil? Is yours mounted on the relay panel as Richy has suggested? In looking into this, I am seeing photos that seem to confirm his suggestion that the correct location of the coil should on the relay panel, but as the ‘68 had so many one-year-only attributes I am wondering if the coil may have been mounted differently for that year (possibly due to the installation of the smog pump in 1968?). I really need to get this right, so if you could you shoot me a pic of your engine bay showing the location of the coil that would be awesome.
    Early 911S Reg #3096
    "Chester" - 1968 911 L, Fully Restored, Numbers Matching, Tangerine Orange on the original 5 1/2 x 15 Fuchs wheels
    "The Beast" - 2010 911 4S Cab, Triple Black, 6 Speed MT, SSK, PSE with Fabspeed Sport Headers and 200-Cell Cats
    "The Truck" - 2019 Cayenne Turbo, Jet Black, Sport Chrono, PSE, Rear Axle Steering & PSCB Brakes (for haulin' stuff... fast)
    ”Blue” - 2023 911 Turbo S Cab, Gentian Blue over Deviated Black Leather with PSE & PCCB’s

Cannot help with mine, as I have replaced the original by a MSD set.
    However I can confirm that originally, my L had the ignition coil mounted on the relay panel.
    Here are pics I collected for 1968 and Ls
    Attachment 557682Attachment 557683

Quote Originally Posted by 911L Guy View Post
    Yeah, we both need an expert to weigh in on this one to confirm my Google-sourced theory!

In the meantime, since you’ve got a US L as well, can you help me with my other question below from post #49 on the location of your coil? Is yours mounted on the relay panel as Richy has suggested? In looking into this, I am seeing photos that seem to confirm his suggestion that the correct location of the coil should on the relay panel, but as the ‘68 had so many one-year-only attributes I am wondering if the coil may have been mounted differently for that year (possibly due to the installation of the smog pump in 1968?). I really need to get this right, so if you could you shoot me a pic of your engine bay showing the location of the coil that would be awesome.
    Last edited by Xavier PJB; 08-25-2021 at 07:24 AM.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier PJB View Post
    Cannot help with mine, as I have replaced the original by a MSD set.
    However I can confirm that originally, my L had the ignition coil mou ted on the relay panel.
    Here are pics I collected for 1968 and Ls
    Attachment 557682Attachment 557683
    Super, thanks, I just shot you a PM
    Early 911S Reg #3096
    "Chester" - 1968 911 L, Fully Restored, Numbers Matching, Tangerine Orange on the original 5 1/2 x 15 Fuchs wheels
    "The Beast" - 2010 911 4S Cab, Triple Black, 6 Speed MT, SSK, PSE with Fabspeed Sport Headers and 200-Cell Cats
    "The Truck" - 2019 Cayenne Turbo, Jet Black, Sport Chrono, PSE, Rear Axle Steering & PSCB Brakes (for haulin' stuff... fast)
    ”Blue” - 2023 911 Turbo S Cab, Gentian Blue over Deviated Black Leather with PSE & PCCB’s

Trying again

Name:  Capture d’écran 2021-08-25 à 15.20.47.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  86.7 KB
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

second one
    Name:  8b7282f0b14495e3b0972cea8e23a921.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  105.9 KB
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407