Thread: Honda Trail - Unusual Model

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar

Honda Trail - Unusual Model

I recently acquired a 1969 Honda Trail CT90 at an auction. I had been searching for a good example for a while, wanting it mostly to run from the campground to the beach and to re-supply beer and ice from the camp store. And, as long as I carry black bear repellant of some kind, I can run a backwoods logging road from my house into town.

Until the auction, I had never seen or heard of this particular model - the Honda Trail CT90 "Suitcase Cycle" conversion. This Honda Trail is an early S&K conversion done by Bill Krause's Honda/Triumph of Inglewood, CA in the late 60's. Approximately 1,000 Suitcase Cycle conversions were built between 1969-1974, designed by an airline pilot, to disassemble for storage in light aircraft. It takes about 5 minutes to dis-assemble and the same to re-assemble, designed to be done without the use of any tools. They were supplied with a plastic, wheeled, storage case (I didn't get that).

Been fun so far, runs great, and climbs up anything in the low gears. Working on adapting a surfboard rack to it now.

The link is in case you wanted to look at its history in more detail...

http://www.check-six.com/Suitcase_cy...se_History.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1

Seasoned Veteran
    Cool. Lots of trail 90's have passed thru my hands. Never heard of the Suitcase version. Nice find.

Was that the one that was recently on BaT Peter? That one would be great to have if you have a small plane or boat, or the back of a small car I guess. I've been looking for a nice CT90 for a while. Mainly something to putter around town with and take up to Maine in the summer to get out into the woods.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

That is cool! You could transport the whole bike in your trunk..... well, not the 911 trunk but I like it! I've had a couple but have never seen one that broke down like that.

Thank you guys...

Yes Jim, the one on BaT. Was just a short road trip up to Washington for me to pick it up.

It really is a practical and fun machine. Just today I replaced the plastic headlight surround as the old one was cracked. It really was it's only cosmetic flaw. I also located a correct year, Oregon mc, license plate via eBay that I'll register to it.

On the trunk subject - I keep thinking it would be interesting to see the look on faces at a local C&C when you park, pull the pieces out of your trunk, assemble and then ride off to fetch your cup of coffee. I think I need to get a chrome cupholder...
    Peter Andersson #2864

Banned
    I have this mental image of 2 fat geriatrics cruising along at 35 MPH and the thing buckles in half.

2 words:

"Product liability".

One of many reasons why pioneers like Mr. Shapiro are few and far between these days.

"Bought his first plane, a Stinson at the age of 18".
    Most 18 year old boys these days would rather buy video games or waste their teat allowance at Starbucks.

Peter, I'm looking for a suitcase car in case you run across something.

Frank, I thought of you the other day when my post was moved to Off Topic

According to Meadow Walker, apparently Porsche's split in half, beyond the control of the driver, so you are pretty much already set!
    Peter Andersson #2864