Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Vinyl Seats 1968 Porsche 912

Original Vinyl Seats 1968 Porsche 912

Original beige vinyl. Driver seat is functional (I used it for three years), but it leans a bit toward the door. Passenger seat is in very good shape. Fits vintage 911 or 912. Could be used As Is, but I suspect someone will repair the driver seat and recover them. I swapped them out for new sports seats, and am not interested in storing them for future resale with the car.

Asking Price: $2000USD + Shipping (from mid Canada). Sold as a set only. Thanks!

UPDATE: Please see the string, below, of informed commentary on these seats. Both seats are old, but it would seem that one is from 1968 and one is from 1969. Still functional, not a big deal, but that also means that they are not a matching pair. This I didn't know... Pricing for totalled seats is often quite a bit higher than my asking, so I'll let it sit at $2000 for the pair. I would still prefer to sell the pair as a set, but since they don't match by year I'm willing in principle to sell them individually. Thanks for reading, and thanks for the Porsche community for the correction. t
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Signal Yellow Porsche; 11-03-2017 at 03:31 PM.

I could be wrong, but I don't think those seats are from a '68. More like a '69, as the '68 seats did not have that black release knob, as seen on the drivers left side hinge, in your second photo. As well, the '68 seats had 3 screws on each side of the seat back, whereas your photo shows only 2 (that I can see.) Again, I could be wrong, as I'm going by what was on my '68 912 swt.
    Steve Meltsner

is this a matching pair that came off the same car?
    two different seat pans one open version one closed...looks like a pieced together pair

Well better change your mind on selling separately, you got one long wheel base seat and one short wheel base seat. On top of that Porsche flipped the forward/aft lever side in 69 so you have x2 passenger side bottom seats with a LWB driver side hinge set. Someone pieced together a pair of seats from various parts.

Hmm. That's all very interesting. These are original seats, so far as I can tell. But yeah, I noticed the pans were different; that's why I tipped them over and included a picture. Incidentally, the car was extremely original when I got it three years ago...

My car is a later production 1968. My rear deck grill, for example, was switched out mid-production and so it is also the same as the 1969. I have no idea if one of these seats was pulled and replaced during the 50 years of car ownership. All I can say is that they have similar patina, the vinyl is the same, and there is nothing outwardly any different. I am definitely curious to know more about this, and am also certain that the collective wisdom of this group will know the right answers! So the levers tell the story??

Thanks for sharing your remarks. Awesome.

Question: Is it possible that the seats, like the grill, were indeed installed by Porsche at the time but mixed and matched as a mid-production car in 1968? I.e., they used a 1968 seat and a newer model 1969 seat? To me that seems plausible, perhaps even likely, but maybe someone knows about build practices at the time. Alternatively: one seat was a problem and Porsche replaced it during warranty...

I agree the transition years could have goofy parts, I have a 68 here with the late decklid and the early headrests. I doubt that the seat bottom was put there in production as the LWB seats would not be on the assembly line until 69 production started. I would guess someone swapped it out at some point, the vinyl looks like it was replaced at some time. The difference of the bottom of the later seat is a number of things: closed bottom, seat lever on opposite side, and the seat rails were completely different from SWB to LWB and that detail alone would make it not right. You can cheat on a SWB by installing LWB seats in the flipped positions but there are conflicts with the seat levers for the recline so you have to flip the hinges back, rails etc.

Your hinges are LWB driver side (with lean forward lever and 2 bolts), SWB on the pass side (with 3bolts and no lever)

Thanks Mark! But what a drag... Better to know, however. Thx all. t

Willing to entertain offers...

How does $1500 sound for the pair? Plus shipping.

Hey -- it's Xmas! Someone buy these.