Thread: Advice on best front window seals...

Advice on best front window seals...

Lots of folks say that when it comes to front window seals, the best option is always a genuine Porsche front window seal. After my last couple of seal fitments, I've found that the outermost external section of the seal (ie. the part that sits outside of the window trim) seems narrower than earlier seals, and makes fitment difficult, particularly in the top corners.

Can anyone recommend any other brands that they've found to be a good fit?
    Scotty

Early S #3169

'70 911S Coupé
    '73 911T Targa
    '78 911SC coupé
    '74 BMW 3.0 CS

Instagram - @aircooledlist

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    OEM is still the best. Just refitted my front and rear screen using genuine Porsche seals - perfect. The rubber is softer and more pliable. Bought mine from SMC. Will post some pix tomorrow. A friend recently opted for the cheaper alternative and regrets it. The inside corners pucker and don't sit flat against the glass.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

The original seals used in production did have a narrower outer lip, all replacement seals for years have gone to the wider lip for just that reason, definitely agree with post above,,,O.E.M. fits perfectly,,,,assuming glass is correct size, and some aftermarket isn't.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Photos of troublesome areas. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  138.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  164.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  176.0 KB
    In second photos the angle makes the seal appear narrow on the corner, it is uniform all around like the last photo.
    Last edited by 911kiwi; 11-05-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Others experience with front seal is improper seating of the seal in the corners, leading to pooling of moisture and eventual rust pocket, and the obvious loss of aesthetics.
    One of the best pieces of advice I received was to carefully mold the Alu trim to conform exactly to the windshield aperture, before inserting it into the rubber seal. It should sit perfectly flat in the frame. On the 4 occasions I've done this, the windshield was a breeze to install, and the seal seated perfectly. I failed to do this once previously on the rear screen and suffered the consequences! Hope this helps
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Quote Originally Posted by 911kiwi View Post
    Others experience with front seal is improper seating of the seal in the corners, leading to pooling of moisture and eventual rust pocket, and the obvious loss of aesthetics.
    One of the best pieces of advice I received was to carefully mold the Alu trim to conform exactly to the windshield aperture, before inserting it into the rubber seal. It should sit perfectly flat in the frame. On the 4 occasions I've done this, the windshield was a breeze to install, and the seal seated perfectly. I failed to do this once previously on the rear screen and suffered the consequences! Hope this helps
    +1 to Kiwi's and Ed's comments. Go for OEM seals, remembering the key to getting the fit right from there is in the profile and seating of the Alu trim. Good luck.
    Mikey C. ESR Membership #3333
    http://www.mceporsche.com