Thread: need a mechanic

Banned

need a mechanic

1973 porsche 911 t targa been sitting since 2004.was hoping they can come over to my house live in the 90020 zip code.dont know what the motor is besides it fuel injected thank you love this site btw.

Banned
    Just curious why you want a mechanic to work on it at your home rather than a shop?

Banned
    just to take a look evaluate the car.see if its worth getting it to run.dont know exactly what the motor is.offcourse i pay a fee

Banned
    13 years is a long time. At the very least you'll need all fluids changed, fuel tank removed and cleaned, fuel pump, hoses, injectors cleaned or replaced, etc. Whether you keep or sell, you'll get a good ROI if you can get it running.

In the last year we've probably done 5 like this. None of them needed the engines disassembled or anything terribly expensive to get back on the road.

I'm sure someone will recommend a shop near you.

expect same work to the brake system. take it to a shop.
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Banned
    thank you not selling. dream car took me 35 years to get it lol

Hopefully it's a 1973.5 CIS car because if it's an MFI car I can guarantee the injection pump isn't going to like sitting for that long especially if it has fuel in it.
    As a mechanic, it's a lot easier for a guy to work out of his shop. Whenever I try to do mobile repairs I never have all the tools I need.

Shift Knob Maker
    The way I read it, I think the OP is trying to find someone who can come take a look at the car and hopefully give a estimate on what it will take to get it going. Since it does not run, I assume he does not want to get it towed somewhere and find out he can not afford the repair bill at this time and have a car that needs towed back.

If I am correct with my assumption, you could post a few pictures showing the cars current condition and a better description. Then you could get a few ideas from some of the experts here on what it is going to take. Or you can just bite the bullet and get it hauled to a competent shop.

If you have waited 35 years to get it, you can wait till you save up some cash to get it going. Figure a couple of grand for the 1st visit and go from there.

Hope that helps.

Mark..

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 76911S View Post
    The way I read it, I think the OP is trying to find someone who can come take a look at the car and hopefully give a estimate on what it will take to get it going. Since it does not run, I assume he does not want to get it towed somewhere and find out he can not afford the repair bill at this time and have a car that needs towed back.

If I am correct with my assumption, you could post a few pictures showing the cars current condition and a better description. Then you could get a few ideas from some of the experts here on what it is going to take. Or you can just bite the bullet and get it hauled to a competent shop.

If you have waited 35 years to get it, you can wait till you save up some cash to get it going. Figure a couple of grand for the 1st visit and go from there.

Hope that helps.

Mark..
    Mark,

Check street view in Google maps of the 90020 zip code. If johnjohn68's working on a "T" he's probably the poorest person in the zip code.

Ok, the Koreatown part isn't as ritzy as the West LA part but still...

If there's any place in the world to get an early 911 mechanic to make a house call, it's West LA. He's down the street from the Petersen Automotive Museum. He might have to wait a few weeks for the visit and pay some bucks but it's not such a bad way to start.

I'd recommend just calling a couple good early 911 mechanics till he finds one interested in the job.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet