Thread: Primer Paint coats on '65 Signal Red

Primer Paint coats on '65 Signal Red

Starting to think about paint on my 65.
    During the rust work I have observed grey primer then orange base coat then the Signal Red.
    Can anyone else confirm that Signal Red cars had a coat of orange under the top coat - its almost Tangeringe.
    (I know its not uncommon to do this)
    Thanks.
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Fuller View Post
    Starting to think about paint on my 65.
    During the rust work I have observed grey primer then orange base coat then the Signal Red.
    Can anyone else confirm that Signal Red cars had a coat of orange under the top coat - its almost Tangeringe.
    (I know its not uncommon to do this)
    Thanks.
    hi ivan

i do have some 65 signal red first paint body panels.
    also orange under red.
    have seen this practice on several cars (e.g. yellow under continental orange)
    will take pics with colour chips next to the sample asap....

...back again
    looks like ral 2002 blutorange(tangerine)
    ral 2001 is also close but a bit off i would say--

grey primer looks like ral 7040(despite the info i got from an old porsche factory painter who told it was RAL7035)

best
    franz
    also starting thinking about the paint job
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Franz much appreciated
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz