Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help on my 15" Fuchs wheels, are they from a 73 RS

Oxford Blue with red decals it was vin 1194 according to the RS Book ....so third series. After the point where it is generally accepted that cars switched to more regular production and thin panel transition-- don't know if there is significance for wheels. This would have April build RS so presumably collection photo is April or May.

Still curious if earlier vin/date RS will surface with documented proof of factory fit 7/8.

I did a part time stint in a tyre depot as a fitter to earn some pocket money as a student. Balancing weights stuck on wheel outer rim, even on alloys, was quite commonplace then; usually hidden these-days. There is an illustration of these weight in the 72/3 parts book iirc. Car has Dunlops which came along a bit later earlier RS generally on CN 36 -- Pirellis at one time the only supplier of the RS size combination regarded as the better tyre.

Also noticed there is a roof aerial in a ~ one year old car...aerial was not there on the factory handover picture so aftermarket fitting presumably, not in usual spot in left or right wings. Also box speaker pair on rear shelf suggests he'd shelled out for a stereo.

Covers on the seats? I had an old great aunt who used to keep a room for visitors and the sofa there was kept in protective covers...but at least he used it in the rain

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 11-10-2017 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Correct the vin and likely date

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    The number 12 in the PET number should not be linked to a 1.73 build Fuchs, but a late (7 and up) 73 to 77. Coyuld be a misstanp though. Early 8J x 15 Fuchses shoulds have a 02 stamp. What is the diameter of the hub, 66 or 70 mm?

Med vennlig hilsen, Cees

Cees, you are correct on this.

FIA homogolation (10/72) shows on page 25 ...01 and .02

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-17 um 13.21.58.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  129.3 KB

Another reference for optional 7/8 Fuchs in 73.

Hi Dirk,
    Interesting. But isn't that edition 31 May 73 which would tally with it being on later series like the footballers April/May example? I've yet to see original documentation that 7 and 8 were fitted on first series or even second series RS. As with all things there might be odd exceptions and no doubt racers might have opted for wider; but my feeling is 7/8 were an option found on the later series RS following the fashion for wider wheels. Earlier dated documentation that I have refers to 6 and 7.

Still interested if anything is known to have left the factory with 7/8 before 1194 which so far is the earliest one and even then it is parked in street not factory pickup so might have had 7/8 option or even dealer upgrade.

I don't really have an axe to grind and in fact sometimes like the wider lower look. It is just an observation that we see the RS these days set up often on 7/8 , sitting low and many times on modern tyres may not be how many were at the time. No big deal as it is owners prerogative on such things and in some cases maybe some are set up well for handling and make use of modern rubber but if purporting to be factory that some owners aim for my point is its possibly a modern interpretation of things past -- even if 7/8 became a valid option some point.

With the availability of CN36 those aiming for the original presentation have options. Some of the first cars had 6/7 wheels that predate the model year start.

To illustrate my point this is an example from the first 100 made in 1972 and photographed around first month calendar 73 on 6" 185/70 15" and 7" 215/60 15"s. Balance weight again visible stuck on outer rim. I assume this being the UK importer's British C16/EG spec press demonstrator this is the "factory" ride height of a then new M472 example. Rare to see RS sitting like this these days, even among those going for the "as it left the factory" thing?

While the colours on photograph are not lifelike it illustrated another of those small details, the side stripe originally being different blue hue to to wheel. Often these are found to be a close match these days and they weren't. Based on the paint inside my blue wheels even allowing for some fading I suspect today we have got used to seeing a darker shade of blue on wheel during restorations than the original Mexico blue hue on RS Fuchs .
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  88.5 KB
    Also the motorshow M471 example's stance as another example:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 297
Size:  219.4 KB
    These couple of examples of details that over time through the conventional wisdom of the dominant group might become accepted as correct to original factory spec but maybe not totally accurate when looking back to how it was actually done back in the day. Things that are quite visible which is not always the case on some hidden details that get the full forensics here.

I'm not criticising how owners choose to set up and present their cars but this forum with its focus on obscure details should be a place where we recognise such influences.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-17-2017 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Add second photo

Steve
    I am reliably told that #1024 (still I think a one owner car - or if not it was a couple of years ago) was a tourist delivery car that was ordered with 7's and 8's. The owner had to pay for the 8's and got the spare 6's in boxes with the car. At least as late as a couple of years ago they were still in those boxes.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks Hugh so early in third series seems to be when there is evidence of factory fitted 7/8 on RS. Not saying it didn't happen by exception sooner but..

..My theory .. The theory that is mine EhHem! ..is the wheels on RS were thinner in the beginning ....and got thicker at the end.

Your story reminds me -- I missed a bnib boxed pair of factory blue 72 sixes by not being decisive enough. Before such things got big money. But not actually that long ago. Would have had month part of stamp later than my car's originals but nice as nos 72 spares nonetheless ... but I hesitated and they eventually went. Silly mistake.

With the countless homages, backdates, replicas and so forth of RS it is easy to forget only 205 genuine original RS left the factory in the Carrera only colour GPW together with blue Blue wheels and decals across all the three series. Never tallied up but obviously only small subset of those 205 GPW w Blue would have actually been built in calendar 72 since we know the tech spec booklet tells us around RS vin 300 build equates to the 12/72 calendar year date. Hope those original 72 blue 6" new boxed wheel pair I stupidly missed were bought by someone with genuine original GPW w Blue first circa 300 chassis car.

S
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-19-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    Might be march delivered 0791
    Was it June 73 delivery this is a for sale advert in AMS in 1974 presumably that car?

Name:  0D367368-1102-4F80-A99E-F0F8F9E19DAE.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  101.6 KB