Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Pump Mystery

Made no difference if I opened tank cap, and fuel tank venting is definately ok. And pumps immediately with a new pump, and failed one won't work in a bench. Must be something to do with heat in engine bay, but weird that it works in some cars in much hotter climate and not in mine.

Still searching what to do as Facet in original location is easy to change even on roadside but reliability is not. If I mount Pierburg behind protection plate up front, it can be only replaced at home with lift but Facet in engine bay takes 10mins at roadside. And I believe you can't suck fuel through Pierburg and similar pumps it if it fails like you can do with Facet cylindrical pumps.
    - Ville -

1967 911 Slate Grey/red, fully restored + 66' "r-ish" hotrod project

Decided to search using: Facet Fuel Pump Problems

This thread is particularly interesting https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtop...t=26238&start=

Do Facet pumps have thermal overload circuits? Wondering if as the pump works rapidly (air in system) is shuts down?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Thank you! Pegasus tech support (where I bought Facets) though that engine bay heat might be the killer. But it failed today only after very short drive, pump felt warmer than rest of the stuff there. When failed, pump were very quiet vs normal operation and some sort of thermal protection/failure IMO is most likely cause.

In my case I’m fairly confident that all connections from tank onwards and pipes and hoses are pretty much perfect.
    - Ville -

Just an update; as I have no trust on Facet Gold Flo IF used in original position at back like originally in SWBs (killed total of 3, all with hardly any use), I spoke with local Facet re-seller; he said that place is just plain wrong, too much heat and way roo far from tank, it’ll kill for sure at some point.
    So I hide Pierburg pump with Malpassi Petrol King pressure regulator up front, underneath suspension cover plate where you can’t see them, and Facet with Bendix sticker is just for show at the back. Seems to be working perfectly with spot on and constant fuel pressure, excellent result!
    - Ville -

A venting issue would be revealed when you remove the cap, you'd hear air rushing back into the tank. My problem, which started this thread ended, up being a stupid mistake on my part. I had the tank cleaned and re-coated. When I went to install the Facet pump, I placed the in-line filter after the pump. When I reversed the position the problem was solved. I know the Facet pump has its own filter, but somehow some left over residue from the tank cleaning got into the pump and caused it to stop. All has been fine now for four years.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid