Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: NOS Girling 16-4 calipers

FS: NOS Girling 16-4 calipers

NOS Girling 16-4 calipers. THE prototype rear racing caliper of the late 60s through the mid-70s; including, from GT40s, Ford MK4, Lola and of course the JW Porsche 917s. Group 4 Pantera too. (All of these used 18-4 calipers in the front)

Come with brake pads. Seem to match up pretty close to an early 930 rear caliper. $2k shipped anywhere in America. I'm willing to ship to Europe but you gotta pay for it. Best to email me at gene at pos dot org
    Girling 16-4 caliper.jpg

917 rear brakes NOS

Very cool and rare pieces Gene, certainly a conversation piece in ANY project. IMHO, the asking price is ridiculously low for what they are.

Armando

Ridiculously low price: I thought so too! Figured I would use it as a test... to see if this forum is getting “birdish”

Sadly, it seems so!

Quote Originally Posted by geneulm View Post
    Armando

Ridiculously low price: I thought so too! Figured I would use it as a test... to see if this forum is getting “birdish”

Sadly, it seems so!
    Or, it could indicate a need to sell the part a bit more. Very cool pieces but for a very limited audience. Theoretically, not too many GT40 owners looking here and, realistically, even less 917 owners. That leaves 930 owners. Unless you're a whiz like Ed Mayo, many might would no clue as to what to even do with them. Maybe a bit more info on what you've seen with similar installs? Otherwise, for most of us, they might only be interesting display art. GLWS
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

These Girlings are the father of the entire Brembo caliper lineup. After this, Brembo took this design and added the fins for the later 917/RSR calipers. Porsche with their "race to showroom" philosophy, shaved the fins down on these Brembo calipers and created the 930 caliper.

The Brembo copy of these calipers was so complete that many pieces are interchangeable. Gene, you should take some pictures of the fasteners. Those look to be motor sport versions of these calipers. You can tell because the heads of the fasteners have been turned down to save weight. You won't be able to get them out without ruining them (looks like someone tried on the caliper on the right). They've been turned so close to the hex key portion that they will crack. The really cool thing is, the fasteners should be "drilled" as well. Have a look, they should be hollow. All in the name of saving weight... so amazing.

For 917's they had the same pistons front and rear. I think they're 43mm all the way around. They were used in BMW IMSA GTP cars as well. It was quite a popular caliper for Girling actually. In 930ish trim, these would have 43mm/38mm rears.

All that said, these are really cool and a really good price. They should have the 3.5" spacing so, a fairly easy bolt-on as were the 930 calipers.

Here's some we're currently restoring for a BMW customer. I have a complete set of 917 NOS versions as well. Awesome Gene!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Thanks, Eric!

You are restoring my faith in the lost dark arts of “S.”

917 Girlings

Per Eric,

Note "drilled" bolts!

Going to call Armando for more appropriate pricing soon.

girling.jpg

Shit should've listened to my guts. A set of these was pretty cheap on ebay Germany probably 1 1/2 years ago. I looked up theh holologation forms of the BMW 02 and couldn't find them - so I passed.

Back in 2002, I asked Carl Thompson if he could spread out on the shop floor the variations of the 917 calipers he had on the shelves.

Here you go...

Porsche 917 Calipers - Photo 01.jpg

Porsche 917 Calipers - Photo 02a.jpg

....and what he ended up installing in 037...

Porsche 917 Calipers - Photo 03a.jpg

Porsche 917 Calipers - Photo 04a.jpg

Pretty cool pieces if you ask me!
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 11-29-2017 at 06:58 PM.