Thread: Exe-TC Shocks with thin torsion bars?

Exe-TC Shocks with thin torsion bars?

Has anyone driven an early 911 with EXE-TC dampers? Their philosophy is unique in that they suggest thin, 19/24 torsion bars and use the WRC quality dampers to control the suspension. Everyone who’s reviewed them say it works. Chris Harris helped develop the suspension for his ST recreation. It’s scary to go against the 21/28 standard. Has anyone driven them?

Yes,do it.It took me a while to run my car differantly and many discussions with xtc,and sadly the boss who passed.
    Great knowledge there as i was involved in early devlopment of some of the dampers,the real key is to get the front handling correctly.
    You say the wrc version do you mean the larger diameter dampers,if so you dont need this,unless you are rallying or safari etc.Tuthills and eb have put a lot of time into these also.
    Have you spoken to them?

The original development programme was, I believe, carried out on behalf of Tuthill with some input from one of their long term customers for use on his 911 during the Historic East African Safari Rally.

The original Safari system used, I believe, a 3-way adjustment which was extremely good on very tough surfaces but was banned for use on BHRC events as there was no evidence that dampers with this level of sophistication we available in the period governed by MSA Historic Regulations and the same is probably true for Appendix K depending on the period. The regs governing the Historic Safari are relatively relaxed in terms of dampers.

More recently EXE-TC seem to have developed a more basic damper which has one-way adjustment but which is still excellent as we have recently tried a car fitted with these units.

The temperature compensation design is also a useful feature and is also available on dampers supplied by Intrax which are also excellent and we have used these dampers successfully on a couple of SWB cars.

In general I tend to believe that many 911s are significantly 'over-sprung' . Bilsteins tend to suffer on rough roads at low speeds due to high 'nose' forces and also can become harsh at high speed.

We have used 19mm front bars on both Asphalt and Gravel Rally cars for years now and we use 24mm rear bars on Gravel and 26mm bars on Asphalt.

We always fit sway bars front and rear but disconnect the rear for use on Gravel.

Reiger also make excellent 911 dampers commonly used on Safari cars and they do seem to work extremely well on rough surfaces.
    Last edited by chris_seven; 11-26-2017 at 03:34 AM.

My 911 will be for canyon and DE, not rallying.

Thanks for the imput. My car will be used primarily on tight, bumpy mountain roads and DE’s at Chuckwalla, streeets of willow, Buttonwollow and Laguna.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
    The original development programme was, I believe, carried out on behalf of Tuthill with some input from one of their long term customers for use on his 911 during the Historic East African Safari Rally.

The original Safari system used, I believe, a 3-way adjustment which was extremely good on very tough surfaces but was banned for use on BHRC events as there was no evidence that dampers with this level of sophistication we available in the period governed by MSA Historic Regulations and the same is probably true for Appendix K depending on the period. The regs governing the Historic Safari are relatively relaxed in terms of dampers.

More recently EXE-TC seem to have developed a more basic damper which has one-way adjustment but which is still excellent as we have recently tried a car fitted with these units.

The temperature compensation design is also a useful feature and is also available on dampers supplied by Intrax which are also excellent and we have used these dampers successfully on a couple of SWB cars.

In general I tend to believe that many 911s are significantly 'over-sprung' . Bilsteins tend to suffer on rough roads at low speeds due to high 'nose' forces and also can become harsh at high speed.

We have used 19mm front bars on both Asphalt and Gravel Rally cars for years now and we use 24mm rear bars on Gravel and 26mm bars on Asphalt.

We always fit sway bars front and rear but disconnect the rear for use on Gravel.

Reiger also make excellent 911 dampers commonly used on Safari cars and they do seem to work extremely well on rough surfaces.

Then just fit there standard single adjustment dampers,they are very good,we found more time in these than intrax which are also good on circuit and hilllclimb use.
    If you can, for what you are doing run coilovers and ditch the torsion bars,they work even better in conjunction with rsr swaybars.