Thread: 1969 Front Bumper Attachment

1969 Front Bumper Attachment

Did not notice a detail when I removed the front bumper. The side brackets, with one vertical bolt: is the body bracket #26 above or below the bumper bracket(shown below bolt #31? Mine seems to want to be below in order for bracket #19 to line up with the body holes.

Name:  schematic.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  75.7 KB

I loosely bolt the front angle brackets to the bumper, then bolt bumper to car with bracket #19, then center bumper to body by sliding bumper side to side as necessary. Now tighten #19 to bumper. #26 should bolt to battery box side and be adjustable vertically, the bumper bracket should go under #26, then that vertical distance is adjusted to get an even compression on the bumper to body seal #18. When done there must be an even compression and spacing of the bumper against the bumper to body seal and the bumper to body gap must be equal all across the bumper.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed
    I need to loosen 26 to be able to get the side bolts 20 into the bracket. I assumed that since nothing has changed that I should not have to loosen 26 and that maybe it sat under the bumper bracket. Back to the shop.

Phil

Got the bumper installed, adjusted, but can only tighten the top bolt for bracket 26 through the access holes. The bottom bracket 26 bolt has no access hole, so was able to get it only finger tight. Only way I see to tighten it is to remove bumper after tightening top bolt.
    Phil

26 is the bracket bolted to the side of the battery box ,,,correct?? What access holes are you referring too?
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Sorry Ed and others, I meant bracket 19. Can only access top bolt through the trunk panel hole.
    Phil

Then yes, if bracket 19. I center bumper, tighten bolt you can access, then pull bumper out enough to tighten bottom bolt.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed. What I figured. Odd that factory would add that extra time during assembly.

I'm sure they would have had some kind of mock-up fixture.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.