Thread: Early gas tank education

Early gas tank education

When I was assembling parts for my ST tribute, one of the most interesting and exciting part I acquired was the gas tank. I got it in trade from Wayne Baker; I gave him the original tank from the 72 and I received the tank pictured below. I had first seen the tank about 5 years prior to my build in Wayne’s shop. Wayne recalled removing from a car some 25+/- years go when the owner requested a larger capacity tank for European rally events. I later learned that person was Yves Junne of Paris, France who I bought my silver 73 911S from in 2005. Anyways, Wayne only remembers that the donor car was a red twin plug car that was raced. Not a ton of help. While researching information on ST’s I spent many hours scrolling and reading through the Ultimate ST and Another Hot Rod threads where a photo of an original ST gas tank appeared. It was the smaller 62L version, which looked a heck of a lot like my tank, except my filler neck is shorter than the tank pictured in those threads. Also, the Blau cap on my tank is a whopping 120mm which I’ve never seen before. Here’s where I’m now uncertain of things: my tank has a fuel capacity of about 53 liters, not the “standard” 62 liters that we commonly see. So....what’s the deal with my fuel tank? I’ve never heard of a 53 liter tank. It obviously has a competition background, but what car could my little tank have originally come from? If anyone has an idea, I’d love to hear from you. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST