Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear window defrost/repair question

Quote Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
    I had the rear window on a 69 going to media blast removed. The defrost wires weren't connected and we found the prongs missing. Does someone sell replacements and can they be soldered back on?
    Chris
    Chris

Don't bother. All you will do is waste a bunch of time and possibly a small amount of money. I've got 50 of those things and I'll bet not one of them works. The only good thing about that glass it that it is not a later "2 stage" heated glass that would be twice the PITA to try and repair.

Regards

Jim

If you really want to repair with new tabs check out Planned Products in Boulder CO.
    They show a defroster repairs . There is a photo showing the tabs .
    Also other defrost repair items .
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I had a connector tab fall off the rear window of my Boxster (2003 was the first year with a glass rear window) and I believe I fixed it with Permatex® Rear Window Defogger Electrically Conductive Tab Adhesive from a Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

It wasn't all that difficult and the rear defrost works (although a couple strips may not be heating up). If your windows are out of the car it should be easy (compared to working under a Porsche rear window).
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

interesting.

i will be installing my 1969 rear window next month.
    i should see what condition my rear window defrost is.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Hi, I don't know about the heater wires since I never could find a good solution, but it's easy to solder the tabs back on. Glass holds well to heat and I have soldered tabs back on a tempered glass without problems.
    Good luck, and let us know if you find a solution to the heater wires on the glass
    ____o0o____

1972 Targa 911S (one day), silver gray (maybe), member 3337

Hi, I don't know about the heater wires since I never could find a good solution, but it's easy to solder the tabs back on. Glass holds well to heat and I have soldered tabs back on a tempered glass without problems.
    Good luck, and let us know if you find a solution to the heater wires on the glass
    ____o0o____

1972 Targa 911S (one day), silver gray (maybe), member 3337

Thanks everyone. This has been a very interesting thread.
    Chris
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I had one missing tab. Fabricated a duplicate based on other remaining, solder on just fine. Tinned the copper tab prior to soldering on glass. Had to move down slightly due to damaged silver tape where prior tab was located.

Wink

Ok, glad I found this thread. My defogger wasn’t working, and the wires didn’t look all that right as the car is modified. I’m about to install a new headliner, so I figured I take a crack at troubleshooting it before reinstalling the back window with the new seal.

It’s a 2 stage switch
    3 terminals
    I have 12V +/- at all 3 tabs, on both settings
    The other side is grounded to the chassis

I am not getting any readings/ohms/continuity across the windshield. What is the likelihood that all 3 elements, and every trace wire has an open lead?

Can someone share a picture of where to ring out the wires, I’m sure I’m doing it right, maybe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The best way to test the heating elements is to use a test light and a 12 V power source. Connect the positive lead of the power source to one of the tabs on the end of the heating element and the negative end to your test light. Very gently probe your heating element moving away from the positive connector along the heating element. As long as the test light lights, you’ve got continuity. I found with most of these old defrost windows, the heating elements are damaged, often very close to the power input source. I have never tried to repair one.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress