Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1968 's distributor 0231159002 yellow label vs black

1968 's distributor 0231159002 yellow label vs black

Hello, I have two distributors for my 1968 s. Original is the yellow label, but this is in bad condition. A few years ago I got a spare, but this comes with a black label.

Chat on the forum suggests this is either a pre or post production version of the yellow label.

The principal difference I see is a hole in the body of the yellow that is absent on the black ... any thoughts on what the hole is for? Lube? Or a breather ?

Are there any strong opinions on not using the yellow label dizzy

Attachment 444147

Attachment 444148
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

The 'S' had a much faster advance curve, you need to use the yellow tag for the 'S' All early Bosch distributors had a hole under the body, we used to use it for access to the spring plate lock screw for access without disassembling the distributor.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Now that I see your pictures on the other thread if your referring to hole pointing up, that's not the one I thought you meant. Don't know what that one does. Are both distributors 002's?
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Richsmith901 View Post
    The principal difference I see is a hole in the body of the yellow that is absent on the black ... any thoughts on what the hole is for? Lube? Or a breather ?
    The hole is for an oil cap that's missing from your yellow tag distributor.

Name:  DSCN1653.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  93.8 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Yep, forgot about that
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi ,

Thanks for the help so far, So the hole is for lubing the shaft? Why would the black unit not have this?

Name:  IMG_8523.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  110.0 KB

Black unit shall a little corroded, have been rebuilding black unit with yellow's shaft, and yes I believe both are '002' thoughts, thanks Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

As long as both are 002's and the advance curve is correct build away! Non yellow tag may have been 68 S as opposed to yellow tag for 67 S.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Rick, find the date code on the one with the black nomenclature plate. It's there, it's VERY small (like 6 point type) and will be at a weird angle. That will tell you the date it was produced. My guess is that the black nomenclature plate is for a spare part made after the production run of the SWB S. And while you're at it get the code for the one with the yellow plate.

LOOKS like you have correct flyweights for an 002 but hard to tell from photo. Need a more detailed photo of the shaft and weights.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Along Ed's post...both black and yellow 002s have the same curve.....my '67S "came" with a black 002, and when I got into the restoration I drove myself crazy looking for a "yellow" 002. When I found one it was insane money,,,and STILL needed a rebuild! Then Jerry Woods reminded me that when it's mounted in the motor and in the car you can't see the label without using a mirror...it is on the back side of the dist. body! How many angels dance on the head of a pin??!!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Hi Mark, now your post really made me smile, each restoration should come with a set of dental mirrors!!! I will have a look for the numbers next time I'm at the garage.

Today I've been on a family trip to Germany, we went to a town called Rothenburg... really nice medievil city... and only 40mins from Nuremberg..... but.... two hours from Stuttgart, stuttgart it is, with a layover at the porsche museum
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393