Thread: Correct Hella 128 yellow lenses?

Correct Hella 128 yellow lenses?

Since my '67S was originally delivered to Paris I'm sure the Hella 128 fog light lenses were yellow.

I've looked at online photos of the various replacement lenses being offered and many show different shades of yellow, which is probably from different lighting during the photography.

Can you direct me to the source with the most accurate looking lenses? I also assume the should have the "V" in the glass as well.

Thanks, Steve

To add to your question, were the early 128's a yellow lens or yellow reflector with a clear lens? I have a 66 912 (late Nov 65 build) that was optioned with the 128's the reflectors are yellow with clear lens, COA confirms the lights and I assume the reflector & lens is correct?
    Others??

Yellow version 128's

I have 23 reference lights from march 57 to July 69 . None have yellow tinted glass lense. Depending on the year the tint is either a coating on the reflector or a coating on the inside of a clear glass lense. The later lights have coated reflectors!

From about Dec 66 the housings had two rivets. I think AF does a good quality repro thats close to this if you want a V lense.

So far as lenses go it could be V or Bar type. If the V then it should have a rectangle. (the repros do not have the rectangle) (I might have spare clear NOS bar lenses)
    Nov '66
    Name:  s-l1600[1].jpg
Views: 160
Size:  79.5 KB

Feb '67 with rectangle
    Name:  IMG_20170522_173417.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  104.4 KB
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

Ivan - thanks for the great information based on your wide range of reference lights.

It looks like the photo of the Bar type lenses has the yellow reflector. Is the photo of the V lens also a yellow reflector or is the inside of the lens tinted?
    If not could you please post a photo of a coated lens?

I have found this yellow lens paint from Japan is being used by guys on either reflectors or lenses. I would like the "more subtle" look than the repo'd 128 yellow lenses now on the market.

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Headli.../dp/B005Y38S3E

Thanks for you help.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    If it adds to your confidence, here's a photo from Car and Driver's January 1967 issue's 911S Road Test:

Name:  1967-porsche-911-s-fog-light-and-turn-signal-photo-548211-s-986x603.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  83.4 KB

The Car and Driver test would have been conducted and the photos taken several months before January 1967.

And, here's a photo of a friend's 1968 912 Targa:

Name:  2016-05-01 06.34.26.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  84.7 KB

It looks to me like this 912 has a clear lens with a yellow reflector.

I'm afraid though that all this really shows is the change from "V" lenses to the later kind happened after early 1967 model year and not later than the 1968 model year.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

The last yellow coated lense I have reference for is May '61. So sometime after this assume all yellow lights had yellow reflectors -( as shown in both pics I posted). There are more than 30 variations in these lights over the years.
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

Ivan - do you happen to have a photo of a yellow tinted reflector you can post for me?

Pretty hard to photograph - original is a but redder
    NOS from the Nov 66 lights
    Name:  20171218_194601.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  41.5 KB
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz