Thread: Plastic cover on bottom of rocker panel?

Plastic cover on bottom of rocker panel?

Has anyone ever seen this?
    Is this original this plastic cover on the bottom of rocker side panel?
    If yes for what is this?

I have got these pictures from a 911 BY65 MY66.

Name:  IMG_0966.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  49.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0967.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  84.9 KB

Thanks for the link!

So they are original...
    But there is no reason why they are there...if I read it well.
    The thing is, if we need to to provide them or not?
    In case of avoiding rust (indeed you could spray every year some rust avoiding stuff)

What would be the advice to do with the restoration?

not on 301022
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

Found these on my recently purchased 72-T, but not present on my 70-S which made me wonder their purpose. Both cars still retain their original rocker panels.

Quote Originally Posted by dadoflefthander View Post
    Ivan; I have never seen a Pcar with out them! Can you post a photo? Thanks Steve;
    i`m not Ivan ...hope that does not matter
    thats #113

also not present on 3013xx
    and 3015xx
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry I dont have pics of that area and the new rockers are on now, but Franz covered that.
    FWIW I checked our records of a couple of other original cars through our shop and the plugs are there on a 68 & 69 car.

The 68:
    Name:  DSCF3840.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  95.1 KB
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

3055xxS a very early 67S has them also
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have noticed these holes for many years. The only purpose I can say they are for is when you remove the bolts for the hinges, if you drop a bolt then that is where you pull it out of. Also for cleaning out mud/dirt. Don't spray rust protective in there every year as this will clog up the drains and water won't escape and rust will really start. Instead blow air up into the drains every year to keep them clear and stop parking under trees! These holes are present on every car 65-73 except the really early cars. If your car is a bit later than 65 and does not have them, my guess would be your rockers have already been swapped out. The new production rockers don't always have the hole - some people say they don't want it and its simpler to leave out during manufacturing.