Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1971 911T Tech Questions

1971 911T Tech Questions

Hi All,

I am bringing a 1971 (March) 911T Targa (German Delivered), back to life. I have some questions that I would appreciate some help with;

1) Would the dash have originally been basket weave trimed, or was this an option?

2) What type of front door 1/4 windows were originally installed. I noticed that some available have plastic/rubber handles and others do not?

3) What type of front seats where originally installed. I see there are some variations between the side trim, tilt mechanisms and various tabs/knobs/handles?

4) What speedo would have been originally installed for a German delivered vehicle (i.e. max indicated speed)? I am pressing KM/H....

5) What model radio was original

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

1) Yes basket weave trim.
    3) Comfort seats would have the chrome side hinges with the top release knob shaped like a Dolphin tail.

Name:  71Seat.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  93.5 KB

5) Most likely a Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM with the chrome trim ring that has the recessed center bar that has a matte finish. COA should list the radio if it was factory installed.

Name:  71Radio.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  94.2 KB
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Happy to help with pics and such, I have a 71 Targa that has a very stock interior, have repainted it, glad Mike posted pic of the seat as mine are bagged up in the attic of the garage (using aftermarket sport seats). Radio shown matches mine, have a rubber like coated 1/4 window (vent) latch, can send pic to clarify. will try to get motivated to get out in the balmy 20F & fresh snow & get to the garage, although nothing like Mike is seeing today!!

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry L View Post
    Happy to help with pics and such, I have a 71 Targa that has a very stock interior, have repainted it, glad Mike posted pic of the seat as mine are bagged up in the attic of the garage (using aftermarket sport seats). Radio shown matches mine, have a rubber like coated 1/4 window (vent) latch, can send pic to clarify. will try to get motivated to get out in the balmy 20F & fresh snow & get to the garage, although nothing like Mike is seeing today!!

Best Regards

Yes a balmy 2 degrees right now! Funny my comfort seats are stored away too and I am running Stefan's (GTS Classics) Sport seats for now, very happy with them.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

Thank you very much Mike and Jerry for your time!

Good luck with the cold weather guys!

It’s the middle of summer here in Australia, they are talking temps of +40deg C (104 f) by the weekend, so we are at the other end of the spectrum!

Mike, you mentioned the dash should be basket weave trim, however your photo with the radio doesn’t appear to be?

Do the seats have a chrome bar across the rear?

Would either of you be interested in selling the seats you have stored?

Thanks,
    Derek

Yes basket weave dash for '71 picture of the radio is a later '72 smooth vinyl dash. Painted black bar across the back of the seats. Not interested in selling my original seats they will go with the car.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

If your car was German market (and not tourist collection for NA) then it would probably have had the European bands and some variation of LMKU.

Not The AMFM pusher markings that were pictured by someone above - picture is of the AMFM marked unit is possibly misleading for a German market Porsche with Blaupunkt.

Not saying attached below is correct blaupunkt for your car (that would depend on what ordered / CoA). However the Blaupunkt example picured below has the European pushers -- some of which can just be seen under the brown grease paper packaging (KML).

This spare brand new in box example below is coincidentally a B suffix serial number of so roughly contemporary to your car. Europe Continent and even in England (which was for the most part English speaking back in 70s) got the European models with apprpriate combo for each radio-model LMKU pushers for bands.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]445704[/ATTACH

I'm pretty confident no AM FM (anglicised abbreviations) were used for Germany delivered cars that era. Hope this information avoids a potentially expensive incorrect purchase of NA AM FM spec Blaupunkt for what you clearly said was a German delivered car! Four wavebands marked (LMKUU) for example was spec for the most popular Frankfurt model in Europe.

Might have been other brand (such as Philips) or indeed other aftermarket brand of course.

AtB
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-01-2018 at 04:26 PM.

I ventured out for work this am at 5F, will make it to the garage this evening for a few pics. Mike I am also using Stefan's seats, Monte Carlo, leather with perforated leather, I had wanted that exact seat when a board member had the set & going back to stock seats in Fla. luckily I was going to be in Miami sailing within a month and picked them up, that was about 3 yrs ago, very happy with them.

Best Regards

Here's my German spec Blaupunkt Frankfurt installed in my 70T with black basket weave. I believe only the position of the lock of the glove box moved in 71 according to the restorers handbook. Incidentally, my COA does no mention an optional radio, but does mention speakers in the door. I assume that the radio was the standard item rather than a more expensive option.

Name:  IMG_1621.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  73.3 KB

Paul

Thank you very much everyone, most helpful! I have found a LMKUU unit for sale on another site....

Another question, does anyone happen to know what year the speedos lost the chrome center??

Thanks,
    Derek