Thread: Is my Alternator OK (enough)

Is my Alternator OK (enough)

Looking for some assistance from the collective. 1966 911 304014 all original (rebuilt to 2.2) motor and electrics. Been running fine. I have added 128 fog lights from Auto Foreign (Eric) No issues. I have now added (last 30 days) Eric's thru grill lights. I love the look. Driving with all lights on I started having a high speed miss. Stopped for gas fill up. Car would not start. Pushed started (not cool with wife in Car). Once home I charged the battery. Once charged checked with multi-meter 12.5V. at battery. Started Car 12.5V brought to 3000rpm 12.5V ( at battery). I went thru normal routine, checked all battery posts, wiring, grounds. Cleaned all no change. I took the regulator from my 1970 914-6. I now get 14+- at Battery. Regulator issue? I took the original regulator apart and cleaned points and connectors. Once reinstalled I see the points close at 1800-2000 rpm. I now get 14+- V at battery. I see the headlights get a little brighter when I rev up the motor ( red light on at idle out at 1500+). The high RPM miss is pretty much gone now. Not sure if the issue has been corrected.
    I think the original Alternator is 35A (please correct if I am wrong). Will this Alternator keep up with the AMP draw of my new light set up. When all on I have 2 headlights, 2 fog lights and 2 driving lights (all Halogen). Should I look for a higher AMP Alternator. Should I switch bulbs to LED's. I have not installed any relays to the system (Not sure How). Don't want to get stranded again. Thanks for any assistance

Without doing the math on the total draw for all the accessories and ignition , I'd say you're close to the max alt. outout equaling draw. But it sounds like you were operating at a loss before, which you've now fixed. Put an ammeter in series with the battery and turn on all accessories, add 5 amps or so for ignition (because engine is not running) and you should be able to determine whether your 35 amp alt. is enough.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Good job diagnosing the defective voltage regulator. I use a solid state one for driving and the original for show.

Yes the original alternator is only 35A, on a sunny day when it was new. That's only 490W. Figure 55-60W for each headlamp, 35W each for the 128s and probably 55W each for Eric's TTG 118s. That's 300 watts right there, without taking into consideration the voltage drop, high-resistance connections and the like.

Your main issue was the bad VR but you may want to consider going to a 55A Bosch Alternator from the '69.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks for the info.
    I would like to keep the external regulator. Is the 69 50 amp a direct fit. I understand that some you have to have the ring machined.
    Any thoughts on changing to LED bulbs?? Would relay's help with switch life?
    Thanks again
    Bob

The later, 55 amp alternator is a direct fit in your fan ring. No machining needed.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

But you may need to modify the wiring harness. . . I bought mine from a nice gent up in Connecticut with a mustache and a huge collection of Porsche parts
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen