Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAD plating options?

CAD plating options?

Restoring my 1969T.

Time for CAD plating.
    Is there somebody who is doing it?
    Is there a decent kit I can buy to do it myself?
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

The only parts that may be cadmium plated on your car are the brake calipers . Everything is zinc .

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    The only parts that may be cadmium plated on your car are the brake calipers . Everything is zinc .
    seat rails and brake lines cad plated IMHO

Shift Knob Maker
    Brake calipers have been a debate for a long time, however one of the experts in the field, Eric at PMB believes all calipers where Zinc plated. But anyway, yellow zinc is the way to go, yes you can do it yourself, however there is a learning curve to it. Find a locale plater, most places that do any plating can do yellow zinc. Best to do a large batch as they charge by the load, not the piece count.

Mark..

On good authority; International Chromium Plating. Ask for Jean.

They do show finish work for my vintage BMW motorcycle compadres. These require cadmium plating on a lot of the hardware.

https://www.icp1927.com
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

If you are really after cad (and not yellow zinc) I send my stuff to Imperial Plating 201 933 3830

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    seat rails and brake lines cad plated IMHO
    Bundy Tube developed in Detroit was commonly adopted for brake line manufacture across Europe in the late 1940's.

The original finish applied to Bundy Tubing was known as a 'Terne' coating which is a Lead/Tin Alloy applied using a hot dip process.

This was replaced by Zinc coating in around 1970 in order to improve the corrosion resistance of the tube.

As Bundy tube uses a copper coated mild steel strip in its manufacture there can be issues if the zinc coating is damaged as the copper layer will cause the zinc to corrode more quickly than if it had been applied to a bare steel.

I tend to believe that switching from the lead/tin alloy to zinc was a decision based on laboratory testing which didn't replicate 'service conditions' and was a mistake.

Modern Bundy Tube has a PVF coating (Green) applied on top of the zinc to eliminate this problem.

chris are you receiving my emails

regards john di benedetto

Check out Shaun@tru6 over on Pelican. Does incredible work. Colors are correct.

PJ

Quote Originally Posted by ibpj4 View Post
    Check out Shaun@tru6 over on Pelican. Does incredible work. Colors are correct.

PJ
    Shaun's here.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...d-doing-chrome