Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early 63-73 literature collection. Standard reference book. Suggestions/help/contact

Early 63-73 literature collection. Standard reference book: Project closed (2022)

For those who are concerned, period literature is the only source when coming to proof what and how the early Porsche were ordered, equipped and sold. But there exists no standard reference book. One has to crawl to many sites or screen the registry for documents.

In the eighties, a small booklet by Miller was published, not very helpful and while the late Charlie White made recently an attempt to do one again, in all respect his publication and site lacks not only printing quality and completion, it does also has majors faults and misinterpretations, even he based 2/3rd of its content on…my early literature collection.

Being well connected within the community, I currently beleive I own the most complete period literature collection. (includes no Porsche Automobilia, which I dont collect).
    I was even told the factory itself lacks this and I know only two other contacts who might have similar content: One in Germany of which I now know I have the more complete collection and a swiss fellow. Milou, a good friend of mine used to have many items but sold it off, some contacts in the US do have impressive content and then even better, as one can cross-reference the items. Do I miss items, yes, about five out of 400...and yes; we need those to document as well.

Over the years I received several suggestions that I should publish a book and its a tempting idea, I would love to do it.
    However; I currently lack the time to do it on my own.

I would need help in setting up this project, as it should be the most complete and detailed publication on early literature 63-73.
    Details needs to be discussed, of course, paramount is a new standard reference publication. It needs to not only document in detail the available literature but especially should provide in detail all options, prices, dealer adress etc for any early 901/911/912 owner.
    Working in the Visual Arts field, I have a keen eye for graphic design, lets hope we can do this publication asap.

Any help, suggestions, contacts for concept, writing, editors, publisher contacts etc would be very helpful, being it US or Europe based.
    Thank you very much in advance.
    (The collection is not for sale).

Here a few keyfacts:

400 literature items, 1963-1973. (901/911/912)
    Probably the most complete in the world. (?)
    Each year is in order in following categories, all markets.
    -Postcards
    -Color Charts
    -Pricelist
    -Dealer Adress
    -PTD
    -Accessories folder
    -Accessories pricing
    -Technicial items, aftermarket brochures.
    -Prints and period tests
    -Period pub and advertisements
    Name:  IMG_3240.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  61.1 KB

Dealer items, 1963-1973.
    Could be further completed, as this enters Porsche Automobilia, which I dont collect.
    -Dealer Fact book
    -Sales training items
    -Dealer only folder
    -Upholstery folders
    -Not pictured: Sports purpose 68-72, homologation papers, manuals, Spare parts folder.
    Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  52.7 KB

Press, 1963-1973.
    Could be further completed, as this enters Porsche Automobilia, which I dont collect.
    -Christophorus, complete 63-73
    -Period tests, all markets
    -Porsche Sport
    Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  84.8 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 03-15-2022 at 10:37 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Karim

I would be prepared to assist but you seem to have about 500 times the amount that I do !
    I have recently researched for Ryan's 3 litre Turbo book in my library
    I have R & T complete from 1963 to 1973 and Charlie asked me to send him advertising scans from R & T and C & D for a seperate book which I don't think happened for obvious reasons
    I still have these scans and one sample is attatched
    Let me know

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Thx!
    Im shure once the project is startet, contribution items will flow in.
    Dennis, showing R&T and period advertisment is noted, we will not forget.

But first I need an editor and probably even a writer.
    I got through pm the editors

-Veloce
    -Paul Pietsch Verlag

I also got a VERY interesting PM by Stephen, thx, responded!
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-06-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    Registry member No.773

I am liquidating, donating parts of my collection. Is there any way to be more specific about pieces missing?

Stephen

Karim

You know from our previous PMs that I think this book is a great idea and you are very well placed to do it with the help of folks here. Imo the Carrera RS and Carrera 2,7 books have a good balance of well researched content and design/ presentation so maybe worth getting advice from the team behind them.

Best of luck - you have my contacts and look forward to catching up sometime as discussed.

Best
    Steve

Stephen/demo: PM sent. Yes, we need everything to be further published, pls reply, thx.
    Thx Steve/911MRP.

Stephen, a scotsman in Canada and registry member..will start to do the project with me and we are already communicating and setting up the project’s keyfact.

We do try to do it “state of the Art” including a good international publishing house and with good graphic design.
    We really need something one can look into it and check the period documents in detail, listing all options, color codes for each MY, prices or equipments, Porsche Tourist Delivery infos, Dealer adresses for each year as well as documenting all these wonderful brochures. Also, there are some wonderful period advertisment I have and many items from my collection never seen elsewhere.

We do will need full authorisation by Porsche to publish the rights to all this and at one point need to travel to the factory archive for crossreference.

Last but not least, a few items I dont have need to be found and documented (mainly Upholstery folders 65-68, 73 and “blue” 70, Sonderfarben “red Lesonal” 67/68, a 63 US pricelist, a 63 901 “black letters” brochure, 70 ETD brochure, some Sports-Purpose item) for the book, ie owners need to be found via the registry or our international contacts. A roll call will be started when we are ready.

It might takes us up to two or three years but the idea that no book ever listed the Porsche literature 63-73 is now too tempting to further ignore.

Stay tuned, I might need your help if you own a rare literature (no Automobilia no manuals) item.

Name:  E1EE4EC4-8B2B-4B6B-8325-F85CE2AFEDDC.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  62.2 KBName:  5F354850-EA3F-43DF-A2AC-1EA5B721CD7C.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  132.2 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-14-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Free is very nice, but in some cases not too practical. If one, or only a few people have the literature to contribute and the cost to accumulate all that literature is high, then it is not in their best interest to give all of that away. I see the time and expense of doing this project as deserving of some kind of compensation.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Dan

I see where you are coming from
    The advantage of electronic information is it can be accessed by anyone and also corrected or updated quickly where a book has to have correct info first time or live with its errors
    However,there are people such as myself who have a good size auto library and are always looking for serious and well written books to add to it
    I started in 1973 with Frere's Racing Porsche book and the next book will be Ryan's 3 litre Turbo book
    In between are Auto Year,Auto Quarterly,the two RS books and many others as well
    I suspect you are also looking at different levels of obsession between VW and Porsche owners and their willingness to pay for excellent reference material
    One fringe benefit of a library is that items can be sold at a later date,such as I am doing now since my retirement
    For Karim's book,I am prepared to assist with its correctness and also buy when it comes on the market

cheers
    Dennis
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

the editor of the 000 magazine might be of help--Pete Stout. there web site is 000magazine.com. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

DanM. I totally understand. On this forum I am probably one of the biggest contributor and I always helped w my literature items.
    Do a search and you will find tons of posts where I showed, shared, helped and gave pics of the items I own and collected.
    I give free advice, i gave price evaluation. I get twice a month email by owners from all over the world asking if I can send a scan of option‘s info for their car or can supply a copy of Dealer adresses, because it seems Im the only one who have it - I always do.
    Charlie White took 2/3 of my collection for free to publish his own book and a french website built their infos around my items - for free.(http://ecurielyford.com/en/04-a-home-archives/). mid-way they gave up and never added my newest scans, a pity. Its now partly complete only.

But: I feel a book is still reference, because on a single item, you find everything.

I used to use photobucket (it used to be free) on this registry, they recently deleted all my images unless i pay 300ish dollar a year ..so most is now lost.
    I think the internet is great but unless you have the item I own, you will not find the infos forever anymore. I know because I just lost most of it, all is virtually gone.

Mind you its my hobby, I do it just for fun. I dont need it for my ego - its really a service.
    I used to buy these items because the were cheap, few people wanted that and since I could afford only one car, in 2005 I said I will collect brochures, instead. I ended up with the fact that wherever I went, nobody had more complete infos and “everybody” turns now to me for help.

I am shure if someone has the choice to pay 50 bucks to have everything in a book, all options , all Color charts, Dealer adresses, all items in completion documented - 500 items - 2000-3000 images, he will be better served than crawl on any website, which might be gone after a few years. And a nicely done book is still a treat to have.

I do agree that any fault can be better corrected in a website..but few know and fewer can contribute. You need to actually own the item to contribute.

Yes, its maybe oldschool to print a book.
    But where do we take reference when we really want to get proofs?
    To Konradsheim RS book, to Paul Frere and Ludvigsen. To Patrick Paternie, Aichele, Morgan, Brian Long. As well as this Registry, of course.

Name:  C8CAA2E8-4CED-4540-BE0C-1AE2DD69EC66.jpeg
Views: 660
Size:  242.4 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-19-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    Registry member No.773