Thread: Help on 1972 Recaro sport seats restoration

Help on 1972 Recaro sport seats restoration

Hello,

I am restoring my 1972 Original Recaro Sport seats of my 911E.

Is the color and texture shown in the pictures the original one?, if so how can I obtain that finish? Is there a specific source of paint for it?. Looks like the finish when you use the HLVP paint gun with not enough preassure....

I have look at the “show your seats” 40+ post but the information does not appear there.

Also is there a source for the bolts circled in blue, one of my seats came with 2 non original bolts circled in red.

Thanks!
    Name:  B58CC0A4-C6DC-47F1-9BF1-D1434EC2F08F.jpeg
Views: 374
Size:  206.2 KB
    Name:  80DA715E-FFDC-40E7-BB78-353DA8B059EA.jpeg
Views: 325
Size:  97.4 KB
    Early S Reg. #1263
    72´911E
    95´993
    02´986S

I did see Sierra Madre has these also maybe Stoddards
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

To date the 8mm thread, small head counter sunk phillips as supplied originally are NLA. all the parts suppliers are supplying the DIN 8mm with a head that is too large. I tried to have my machinist turn down the heads on one of the new screws and to get it to the correct diameter is cut into the phillips cross hatch.

Those original screw's head is the same diameter as an M6 screw and I do know that shops have repaired stripped threads in the seat frames with M6 threadserts...thus giving a slightly weaker attachment but correct appearing head on the final assembled product. Those original screws are "gold." Side note: the SWB seat had slotted screws, again with the weird M8 threads and small head...those can be cut down as the slot is a simple cross cut.

The recliner finish is NOT crackle paint....Recaro in their infinite cheapness first just splattered the recliner with glue and then sprayed over the splatter with satin black enamel. I know Tony at Autobahn made the same forensic discovery as I years ago and does the same on his projects. I duplicate it with Wurth SKS setting the Wurth gun to a very dry splatter.....the stuff is tougher than the original finish and identical. Here is the Wurth finish on one of my '67S seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by smedley; 01-10-2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: additional setails
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

fantastic information . thNks!!!
    Early S Reg. #1263
    72´911E