Thread: 1970 911 T Targa-HONEST CAR

1970 911 T Targa-HONEST CAR

Hello

There is so much to say about this car that it is hard to know where to start. This car was originally purchased by a gentleman in Montauk, NY who took delivery in the Netherlands. Pons Porsche Dealership in the Netherlands delivered the car, the original sales documentation (window sticker) and other handwritten and printed documentation from the sale of the car and the transportation back to the US is all here. This gentleman owned the car for 30 years and he kept every piece of paper and every service invoice from new, something that the second owner continued until 2008, I am the current and third owner. Additionally, the original owner’s manual and the original Porsche maintenance booklet are still with the car. A certificate of Authenticity from Porsche also confirms that this is a numbers matching car. This car even comes with the original black Dutch license plate that was issued in 1970.

So now comes the story. When I bought the car I drove it around for less than 100 miles before I decided to remove the engine and gearbox. Being that I am the owner of a Porsche repair shop it is never good when I start working on my personal cars. I always have time to take apart my cars but there is NEVER time to put them back together. The engine was leaking oil from the center of its original magnesium case. With 98,000 original miles the bottom end had never been opened so the JB weld and other silicone sealants that the previous owner was using to slow down the leaks did little to stop the flow. Engine and gearbox come out, engine and gearbox come apart – four or five years go bye-bye. A customer walks thru the door spots the silver 911 Targa in the back and asks if it is for sale. Of course everything is for sale so he packed up the car on his trailer and took it to the bodyshop for fresh paint and left the engine with me to rebuild. Another two years go bye-bye. Then I get a call, “Do you want to buy your old car back?”, price was right – baby comes back into the family. Here is the “story” part of the story. My beautifully original 1970 911 T Targa was taken apart and painted but the car had never been put back together. Before the paint job they had taken the car to our local Porsche “ get the rust out” guy and although he had very little to do, he did it well. So another couple years go bye-bye. A couple weeks ago we found some time on our hands and started putting the car back together. There are some small parts missing and some parts need to be replaced, but for the most part everything is there. The expensive work is done, now comes the many hours it will take to lovingly put everything back together. These initial pictures are of the car 4 years ago BEFORE the paint job, I will next post some pictures of the car AFTER the paint job. In the next two weeks the car will be back on suspension and running. But as we all know the details can be unending if you allow them to be. I am hoping to find somebody that will take over this project and let us finish it for them or I would also sell the car as-is. The AS-IS price would have to be negotiated but the price for the rebuilt, repainted, mechanically reconditioned car is $92,000.00 .

SUMMARY

1970 911 T Targa
    VIN 9110111833
    $92,000
    98,000 original miles
    Repaint in original silver
    Rebuilt Engine
    Rebuilt Transmission
    Complete new brake system
    All suspension replaced, powercoated, rebuilt
    Many new parts
    Complete ORIGINAL Interior