Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Bumper S trim

Rear Bumper S trim

Looking for some advice

Here's the set up:

1. The "Old" Repro rear bumper Aluminum trim piece does not fit the contour of the bumper (big gap)..contour of piece is too tight
    2. The "Old" Repro rear bumper rubber has a concave profile (original had a slight concave profile)

Question:
    1. Does Porsche still make this entire piece AL trim and rubber?
    2. Are there any new repro pieces that are of a decent quality if so who sells them?
    3. Thought about sending my original AL trim piece out to get re-finished...does anyone have an estimate on how much the platers might charge to redo these two pieces.....worried this might be more expensive than the other two options, but may be my only option

Thanks in advance for any help

DM

SWB or LWB? ...... I know http://www.autoforeignservices.com/ sold the SWB ‘S’ rubber insert in the past. Original is usually best!

Seems to me that you should be able to easily bend the aluminum piece to the contour of the bumper.
    Bob B

A: Long Wheel Base
    A: Good luck trying to bend this piece to confirm to the bumper.....the multiple bends in the piece cause it to be uber strong

Without some special tooling it's virtually impossible to bend the thick "S" trim to fit. That makes the original stuff virtual gold. Also finding someone to do the proper and correct brite dip anodizing is getting tough. The SoCal shop that shall go nameless has become worthless, loosing and ruining unobtainium parts. (I know!) The repro stuff is all made by Tasker, both alumunum and the rubber extrusion. The current rubber extrusion does not fit tightly on the aluminum, but it's all we have. I believe that even the factory pieces are Tasker. So....save and refinish the original aluminum and live with the crapy rubber. Eric's excellent repro SWB is sold out and he isn't planning on another run. Stoddard now has correct SWB rubber inserts all-be-it VERY expensive. No one is making the correct SWB aluminum pieces.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Shaun at "Tru-6"
    Does some great work on all types of metal
    http://tru-6.com
    Give him a call he will give you the options
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun

Couple of thoughts:

1. Does anyone know if the newer "Tasker" repops fit any better than the older repops?
    2. I would need to get some pretty positive assurances from Shaun before I sent him anymore trim pieces. I will leave it at that.
    3. Has anyone tried the rubber extrusion offered by Mercantile?

Last months I tried the parts from Porsche Classic . These don´t fit at all and the surface finish is wrong .
    Then I ordered the new Stoddard exclusive reproductions ( SIC-505-046-51 Stoddard Exclusive Rear Bumper Deco, Wide S Trim. Bright Anodized as Original. Fits 911 912 1969-1973 with reflectors Replaces 90150504651 )
    These parts were absolutly perfect.I compared them with one NOS part I own. There is no visible difference and the contour is perfect.no bending necessary

Went through this a couple of years ago on my ‘69E. The originals were toast, so they were tossed. As stated above, if yours are salvageable, send them to Shawn at Tru-6.

I used the Tasker trim pieces and IM inserts. As mentioned by Mark above, the rubber inserts are rather loose in the Al trim. Bending the trim is very challenging, but AFAIK, is absolutely necessary to get the correct arc and angle for the reflector. My mentor, who is a metal genious, used his English wheel to contour the trim. The process of measuring, bending, measuring, bending, measuring and final cut for reflector took a couple of hours per side.
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project

Quote Originally Posted by CA lover View Post
    Last months I tried the parts from Porsche Classic . These don´t fit at all and the surface finish is wrong .
    Then I ordered the new Stoddard exclusive reproductions ( SIC-505-046-51 Stoddard Exclusive Rear Bumper Deco, Wide S Trim. Bright Anodized as Original. Fits 911 912 1969-1973 with reflectors Replaces 90150504651 )
    These parts were absolutly perfect.I compared them with one NOS part I own. There is no visible difference and the contour is perfect.no bending necessary
    I am also looking for a source for this rear bumper trim . . . Anyone else have a positive experience with these pieces from Stoddard . . . (SIC-505-046-51 Stoddard Exclusive Rear Bumper Deco, Wide S Trim. Bright Anodized as Original. Fits 911 912 1969-1973 with reflectors Replaces 90150504651).
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy