Thread: FS: UK-delivered 1970 2.2 E-based Vintage Racer RHD matching numbers

FS: UK-delivered 1970 2.2 E-based Vintage Racer RHD matching numbers

9110200195 is a UK delivered RHD 911 E manufactured in the 11th month 1969 as a MY1970 car.

Highlights

Matching number UK delivered RHD 2.2 E in its original 8080 Silver Metallic.

2.3l single plug RSR spec motor on separate 7R block, original included with car.

2.2 E MFI pump built to RSR spec by Gus Pfister at Pacific Fuel Injection.

2.2 E TB’s and stacks built to RSR by Matt Blast at Eurometrix.

Elephant Racing Street Track 2 suspension.

Bespoke new Prestige Auto Wiring loom and electrics, Classic Retrofit dual spark CDI.

All steel panels.

With the courtesy of Peter Cook Club Archivist for Porsche Cars GB their log information shows for 9110200195

Car Type 911E Coupe
    Engine No. 6200890
    Key No. 888
    Colour Silver metallic
    Interior black with black and white seats
    Build date November 1969
    Delivered to Porsche Cars Great Britain, Isleworth December 1969
    Selling agent Henderson Garage
    Delivered to customer 16th February 1970 – Hayes Shell Ltd
    Registration plate RMO 1

There are numerous beautiful examples of the “Sport Purpose” early 911 on the forums but my intention was to build a car that would be competitive should I get the urge to go wheel to wheel racing and so something a little more “Track Purpose” was planned.

The Australian Historic Motor Sport Commission is adamant that historic racing should accurately depict the cars that existed in the past. Particular attention is paid to the periods of the cars, the authenticity of their specifications, and the group categories in which they compete.

Early Porsche are eligible to run in several categories but the majority are found in Group S.

It was time to find a donor vehicle…

And so it was that 9110200195 came in to my possession as it met 4 of my criteria, RHD, LWB, E and cheap.

A cheap 911, “no such thing” I hear you say and read time and again. In fact in 2008 the car was cheap, it was also on the other side of the country (4 hours by plane) and there had been multiple offers on the car on the day it listed for sale- it was RHD, complete with its matching number engine and MFI, it’s dated Fuch’s, was originally 8080 Silver Metallic (now red) and ‘some’ rust.

The car arrived at Simon Greenwood’s Autowerks workshop in February 2008- it was to be a month of major disappointment. Simon is about an hour south of me so I jumped in the car and headed off for a first look. Seeing the car I immediately had that sinking feeling and whilst complete it is fair to say it was stuffed- the jacking point couldn’t support the weight of the car, the sill simply lifting up in to the door, door frame in to the roof and then the car came off the ground …. Pretty much the bottom 6 inches of the car was rust.

I needed some inspiration as the general consensus was the car should be binned and went searching on DDK as some of the cars restored in the UK defied belief, in particular I found a photo of a RHD S that Canford Classics were restoring, it was barely recognisable but considered salvageable, and so was to be my E.

The car was entrusted to the guys at Steve Kennedy Smash that had restored a 2.4 E for me and due to my budget and their timetable, waiting for replacement panels etc it was 18 long months before the shell was complete and returned to Autowerks.

The 18 months weren’t wasted as Simon and I set about sourcing all the good bits/ missing bits/ refurbishing bits that were to make the car special.

The matching number engine was disassembled and the block carefully put away in storage. Locally we sourced a 2.4 7R block to build the engine up from, a nice 2.2 counterweighted crank was supplied by Spyder Automobiles in Victoria, the TB’s were sent to Eurometrix in the US, Gus at Pacific Fuel Injection rebuilt the MFI pump, Charles Navarro at LN Engineering supplied a set of their beautiful NICKIES cylinders and custom 10.5/1 JE pistons, the boxes of bits arrived from Chuck at Elephant Racing. RENNSPORT SYSTEMS supplied a set of 1.5” George Narbel Headers connected to a custom 3 outlet rally style muffler, all have been ceramic coated. A fender mounted oil cooler keeps it all cool.

Prestige Auto Wiring constructed a new bespoke wiring loom, spark is provided by a dual spark Classic Retrofit CDI.

The gearbox is the cars original type 901 box, California Motorsport billet side cover, bearing retainer and intermediate plate keep it all together. A MODENA LSD is fitted. A JW Engineering RENNSHFITER and PSJ help with selection.

One of my favourite threads on Early S is Show Me Satanic Details… please. The intention of the car was never to be a replica or pastiche of anything but I was inspired to incorporate some of the cool period items in the posts. Some of my favourite ‘light weight’ details are the drilled door handles supplied by TRE Motorsports’ Dave Bouzaglou and the polycarbonate vented light weight ¼ and pop out windows from Spektre. Along the way Ebay came good with a genuine RSR tacho and RS speedo, Bill Rich supplied a pair of his beautiful replica REPA harnesses and Phil Lack did me a great deal on some of his GTS Classics BF Torino ST replica seats in hounds-tooth.

The car has a BOND ½ cage fitted.

All of the panels on the car are steel.

All of the bright work has been correctly re-anodised to the highest standards.

To be frank and was my intention the car is heavily track biased and whilst on NSW Historic Rego it is not a car I would want to spend too many road miles in. During the restoration of the tub all underseal and insulation was removed from the car, all glass other than the front windscreen is polycarbonate and a small fuel cell all ‘adds lightness’ and with the fuel cell full the car tips the scales at 940 kg.

The car remains virtually unmarked from its original restoration, the majority of the front of the car being covered in 3M Venture Film and in total the car has covered less than 3000 k’s. A minor off at a historic meeting in June resulted in damage to the RHR ¼ and RHS front fender, this damage properly repaired with new genuine Porsche panels.

The car is offered for sale with its original matching number block, its 5 date correct and fully restored Deep 6 FUCH’s.

If you want to participate in historic motorsport this is without doubt one of the finest competition orientated long hood 911’s on the market. This car has had a monumental amount of money spent on it to make it beautiful and bulletproof, simply enter, arrive and drive.

The car is for sale for OIRO $208,901 AUD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig
    Newcastle, Australia
    ESR #1479

1973 2.4E Coupe ex Hong Kong ex Norfolk Island ex New Zealand now in Oz
    (Autowerks restored stunner)
    http://www.autowerks.com.au/porsche_projects/index.html

1972 2.4E Targa ex Germany ex Japan now in Oz
    (another Autowerks project)

1969 built E based Vintage Racer
    (another Autowerks beauty)
    http://s12.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true