Thread: FS: @sothebys - '65 or '66 912

FS: @sothebys - '65 or '66 912

https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctio...che-912/616918

Looks like it has a lot of good parts on it. Purchased new Christmas of 65. Not real well versed on my 912's. They're calling the car highly original. Looks mostly original although I see a few replacement parts.

Looks like a hodgepodge to me. wheels, rear deck lid letters, door handles, LWB lights etc.

Body and paint numbers and some other bits look OK for early 1966 car.
    1996 993 black/tan

In addition, the engine mount is not right for that engine number. The engine number is in the correct range for the chassis number, though. Seats might not be original. It's missing its mirror and door trim. Wings might not be original. Looks like 2-screw horn grills. Front valance is not original.
    Steve Sobieski
    '65 912

Later rear quarter panels.

Quote Originally Posted by 9er View Post
    Later rear quarter panels.
    Could be a rs 912.
    S Registry#2021

Lots of questions on this car it's a December delivery, so a 66 model, but rear deck lid must have been changed of modified - letters should be earlier script linked together and oblique 912 script. The engine support bar is for a 67 and later with the 4 bolts in a row and rubber blocks inside. This car should have a thin engine support bar with 4 bolts to the case in a square pattern. I don't know that early car could be optioned with Fuchs (but not sure). I would expect a car likely built late nov/early dec 65 to have 3 gauges, but the 5 gauges were an option.. It was a Euro delivery car (KM/H speedo), but the engine has US heat exchangers not the European delivery version. If Euro delivery, I would expect this car may have been delivered with a 8XXX (Germany cars) engine code not 7XXX, but could have been purchased in another country I guess. Paint tag says code is 6603 which is Golf Blue and clearly the car was repainted. This car should also likely have the 4 screws horn grilles rather than the 2-screws.

I love the scenography with the warehouse and the dust, the photographer just found the car there!

My 912 VIN is about 350 earlier than this one..

Other than all that, it's highly original. "Highly" is an adverb that is open to a lot of interpretation.

As for the engines, my understanding is that cars sold in Germany and Sweden had to have the 8XXXXX engines. The 7XXXXX engines were export engines, for cars sold in countries other than Germany and Sweden. There is a 912 owner that has an early, painted dash 912 with its original 74XXXX engine and kardex shows it was first sold/delivered to Italy. I think it is possible the engine in this car is original (although the listing does not indicate that it is), but you are correct on the engine support and everything else.
    Steve Sobieski
    '65 912

Like I said... a hodgepodge.
    1996 993 black/tan