Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Sports Seats.....

More Sports Seats.....

I recently acquired these seats that came from a very original 73 built US spec coupe.......

......they appear largely original and assume that's also true of all the fixings etc however I'm pretty sure they've been recovered at some point, would the experts on here agree?......no idea what's happened with the headrests but think these should be a peanut type?

As you can see the drivers seat needs work and the plan is to have them restored in Pepita/Vinyl and fit them in my 73 2.4E, unless it's highlighted there's a downside to having the seats restored?

I appreciate all feedback

Cheers,

Pretty sure all sports seats had the "D" style headrests.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

@mifton: sorry, you are wrong... headrests changed in 10/1971... at sportseats also...only leather sportseats did have d style till 1973.

@darren: your konsoles/rails are right for 1973... double locker (yours) came in 10/1972 till 1973...letherette : complete seats including headrests look not original to me.

best

uwe

Quote Originally Posted by recaro View Post
    @mifton: sorry, you are wrong... headrests changed in 10/1971... at sportseats also...only leather sportseats did have d style till 1973.

@darren: your konsoles/rails are right for 1973... double locker (yours) came in 10/1972 till 1973...letherette : complete seats including headrests look not original to me.

best

uwe
    Oh leather sports seats only with the "D's" that's what I was thinking of.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Banned
    Nice but they've been redone. TJ style.

Either that photo is distorted or that poor driver's seat is the victim of a bad Botox job. Nothing but upside having them reupholstered by the right people.

Thanks for the feedback chaps.....although I thought the bolsters at least might possibly be original I figured they'd been recovered at some point but suspect that was some time ago.

Never thought I'd find or be able to afford a set of 73 seats for my 2.4E and was close to buying another set of Vintage Seats which are great but the Dollar rate has steered me away of late.....glad I held back.

And Frank you're right the seats are somewhat out of shape........seems these America spec seats couldn't quite cope with someone's American spec!.......I'll now get them restored and trimmed in Pepita which was orignal to me car.

Thanks again guys
    Last edited by Darren65; 01-15-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Peanut v D-Shape?....

One more question for the experts please.....

.....I was told these seats should have 'Peanut' shape headrests and thought they may have actually been that type badly recovered however when compared to a peanut shape item on the left they clearly are a D-Shape headrest.

They seats came from a mid-73 built US 911T, they show on the CoA and I believe them to be original to the car. They're obviously 73 double lockers so could the headrests be original too?

I've looked at a number of 2.7RS cars and a many of these also have the D-Shape headrest?

Incidentally the comfort seats I currently have fitted to car came from a RHD March 73 2.4E and were totally original, these also had D-Shape headrests.

I'm thinking it took a long while for the D-Shape headrests to disappear and there was a mix of both D-Shape and Peanut types through 1973.....what do the experts think?

IMG_4007 by Darren Tompkins, on Flickr

I appreciate your feedback.

As I have already written, the headrests changed october 1971 in peanut. that is definitely so securitized ... there were exceptions (the RS are also known to me) although leather had always d-headrests. if necessary, was also installed in the occasional times the old d ... one should also keep in mind that each lay headrests can change ... by the way, were head restraints in Porsche until the 1973 model year in T / E and S surcharge

in my opinion, one should not worry about that, if you have perhaps the rare copy that was delivered with the "wrong" headrests special until september 1971 d and from october 1971 peanut (exception leather) - point. Personally, I would only do it differently in one case: I have a photo of my 911 as delivered from the year of first registration. but even then it may be that the first owner has saved the headrests when buying the car because he still had some at home ... by the way: has anyone ever read on the coa "headrests"?

best

Quote Originally Posted by recaro View Post
    As I have already written, the headrests changed october 1971 in peanut. that is definitely so securitized ... there were exceptions (the RS are also known to me)
    I can't comment on that date of the headrest change generally but agree with Daren's earlier and this quote about RS being exception -- it is documented and quite well known that the RS, model year 73 obviously, used both Peanut and D headrests. D wasn't just for leather on that model.

More generally headrests were indeed listed as a priced option on the Porsche GB price lists of that era. Don't know if cars with them bought as extras have them on CoAs ...but CoAs often contain garbage information anyway.

I do know of several RHD UK market cars -- a 72 T coupe and 73 E -- pretty original thought to be circa 50 k miles that came without them even on sports seats. Some model specs -- the more luxurious E and S -- iirc here had them as standard part of UK market specification.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 11-21-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Here is a price list from Porsche for 1973. I don't see any separate listing for headrests.
    Attached Images Attached Images