Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing 1972 oil tank

Removing 1972 oil tank

I have loosened the strap that secures the (one year only) 1972 oil tank and it still seems like I'm missing something to get it to drop down and out of the car.

I had hoped to be able to drop the tank to loosen the two top big oil lines as I don't see how to get a wrench on the line within the confines of the rear wheel well.

What is the procedure for removing the 1972 oil tank?

Thanks!

You will need to unbolt the strap so that it (the tank) can be pulled away from the indents in the inner fender panel that actually are what supports the tank.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you.

I just removed mine and in addition to what Ed mentioned about completely releasing the strap, I also took the cap off and disconnected the top oil line that runs to the console at the console. There was no way for me to get the wrench up in there. Take you time moving it down and back to get it out and don't forget the oil level sensor wires. I assume you have all the lower connections disconnected and the upper vent hose off?

Take extra care with the 3 plastic spacers between the body and the tank. They are unavailable and almost impossible to find. Not sure if you are thinking of re-conditioning it, but Pacific Oil Cooler gave me a very reasonable price to clean it, check for leaks, and paint it.

Thanks- it is out. What a 46 year mess of oil and road debris. It was lodged in place by debris and the top hoses. I hesitated to remove them because we could not get the tank immaculate. Finally I had no choice. We did keep crud out but I think I'll rinse the tank with Kero then clean used oil before I replace it. Now I need to find the leak(s). The oil level gauge has never worked since I've known this car in 1976- I'm serious about getting it fixed as my friend has wrecked bearings before because of low oil level... Does it make sense to dead end the hoses to each other except one and pressurize the tank with a wet dry while holding the tank in a trash can of water? I bet the sender gasket is toast but I also fear the sender itself may not be oil tight. Do the senders often leak? What is the best source of the oil lines? The car is a clean driver and does not warrant (to us) $5,000 in new oil hoses- Thanks for all the great help. The best part of these cars is fixing them ourselves. I'd like to have this Targa back on the road in time for Hershey. And I hope to see some of you there!

I just took my oil tank to a local “radiator repair shop “, they will braze the pin holes .
    They are very familiar with these types of repairs on radiators.
    They either use a tin or silver to repair pin holes. They will also pressure test .
    Total cost $50.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Thanks for the little details! They are the most grateful!

I had the spacers 3-D printed
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That seems like a winning answer, Gold. Less mess for me too. Thanks.

Nice work!