Thread: Heigo Aluminum roll bar or cage?

Heigo Aluminum roll bar or cage?

Hi. Heigo sells an Aluminum Clubsport rollbar through FVD. It’s half the weight of a steel cage. They also sell an aluminum minimal cage which provides some side impact and A pillar support. The side is removable if it gets too annoying. Has anyone used the aluminum Heigo?

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/HEI9110010...l-support.html

Here is a shot I found of the Aluminum cage installed in a 964. Looks really nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The one you highlighted is a half cage for the rear , I have one just like it in my '96 GT2 it is a superior piece with reinforcement stress bars that go to the tunnel and across diagonally.
    Haven't seen one that includes the front cabin area but it's probably pretty expensive , their stuff is very well made and
    infinetly adjustable . Bert

Thanks, Bert.

Not legal for racing sanctioned by PCA, VMC, and I’m pretty sure also SCCA (since VMC uses SCCA GCR).

No intention of racing it but it is FIA approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Robofc View Post
    but it is FIA approved.
    Sadly not. Aluminium Roll Cages were very specifically banned by the FIA around 1986 and current FIA regs - both Appendix J and Appendix K require the use of steel cages.

There was all sorts of BS about the failure of welds in Aluminium ages and the need to 'anneal' the structure after welding which was complete tosh and the ban seemed to be a reaction to a spate of serious accidents in Group B Rally Cars.

Metallurgically FIA Cage Regulations are very poor and although they make an effort to provide guidance on the steels that are suitable they really don't do a good job.

Weichers in Germany also make Aluminium Porsche Cages and the clearly specify they are not permitted for Motorsport

http://www.wiechers-sport.de/en/shop...l-kaefige/info

Their 911 cages are shown here:

http://www.wiechers-sport.de/en/shop...-1989-e-detail

The FIA Number provided by Heigo really only defines the shape of the cage and it would be rejected by any Scrutineer in Europe and I believe the USA.

As you say if you are not using the car for Motorsport then it doesn't matter and the weight saving is going to be greater than 50%.

Shift Knob Maker
    If not for racing, then what is the point? Cosmetics? Seems like a lot of $$ for a look that would be a pain to put in and then be removed by the next owner.
    Just saying..

Mark..

I’ve had a rollover in a Mercedes 190e-2.3-16 that crushes in the drivers A pillar by 4 inches and it wuld have killed me had I been in A vintage 911 or Alfa GT. So I like reinforced A and B pillars and the side impact beams. These cages onlunweifjt 45 pounds

Banned
    Cheaper alternative:

Quit crashing.