Thread: 1968L (USA) gearbox code help

1968L (USA) gearbox code help

I saw the attached Kardex for USA 1968L Coupe 118 0 5118 the other day and am confused about the gearbox type shown on it

Name:  gearbox code question.png
Views: 157
Size:  1.52 MB
    it shows gearbox number 3280871 but against it it seems to show gearbox type 901/14
    I have never heard of a 901/14 gearbox type and cant find it in my spec books but that might be lack of knowledge
    However ALL similar numbered 3280xxx gearboxes I have record of on 68L's are type 902/1 (or the little spec book shows them in one place as 902/01)
    Is this a rare mistake on a Kardex or is it something that I have not come across before and is not in the normal spec books ? OR is it just that I cant read a Kardex properly
    Last edited by HughH; 01-25-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hugh

I would think it is just another engine number (and type i.e. 901/14), whether it is a typo or replacement engine is another matter......it also means that there is no gearbox number which I also can't explain! Sorry not much help really.......
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Hi Tim

it is really the gearbox number - not another engine number. I think it is a mistake on the Kardex but I dont think I have ever heard about one on an engine or gearbox type before
    BUT you are correct the 328xxxx engines in 1968 were 901/14 - maybe the person writing up the kardex made a mistake and put the engine type in the gearbox type part because both engine and gearbox started with 3280
    the info and a picture of both the kardex and gearbox number is now posted in the for sale section here in post 1895
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Hi Hugh

I see.....would suggest it is a 902/1 box that was optional on the USA 68L, the 901/14 being the typo element in that it should have been put after '328 0588' on the Kardex?
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

yes i think so
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

I agree that the trans type is incorrect. I have other Kardex with the correct type attached to similar range trans serial numbers.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers