Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission housing repair, possible?

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Transmission housing repair, possible?

Hi,

I have this bell housing but obviously it needs repair. Is this possible to repair (Mg) and is it worth it? I just have the housing, no internals.

Kind regards,

Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    More expensive but a complete bulkhead repair from Wevo, Alu case pictured but same for Mag. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by fourteenten View Post
    I have this bell housing but obviously it needs repair. Is this possible to repair (Mg) and is it worth it? I just have the housing, no internals.
    Cees, what are you referring to that obviously needs repair?

The gap between the two bearing bores is normal, and the bores themselves are iron, not magnesium.
    Are the bearing shells loose in the bores? Based on the dust, dirt and rust I see in the bores, it doesn't look like bearings have been fitted recently.

Please explain the problem.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Hi Jon,

There is an uneven gap between the bearing bores and it is even lifted a bit up. Can't believe that that is correct. Indeed, I have it for a couple of years in my garage collecting dust and dirt. I do not see that gap in Gordon's picture.

Thanks, cees

There is an uneven gap between the bearing bores and it is even lifted a bit up. Can't believe that that is correct.
    Cees, the gap is normal on early cases, and it's not a problem. There are no retaining clips in this area for the bearing shells.
    If it is lifted slightly on the surface, then just dress it down.
    Gordon's is a later aluminum case and has been repaired in this area, so it is not a good comparison.

Here is a similar magnesium case of mine...

Name:  DSCN9979.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  129.6 KB

There are not many good photos of this area in the factory manual, but maybe you can see the gap here...

Name:  DSCN9980.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  85.0 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

That is good news Jon, many thanks. I will check the S/N to see what year it is from.

Best regards, Cees

I will check the S/N to see what year it is from.
    The serial number was stamped on the lowest part of that housing. Sometimes it is badly scraped, and difficult to read.
    If you cannot read the number, then take a photo of the clutch bearing guide tube. There were three different versions, only one of which was removable.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Thanks Jon, I will report back.

Cees

915/02

Sorry for the late follow up. Here's a picture of the serial number. It is a 915/02 housing. Now busy cleaning it...

Regards,

Cees