Thread: outside door handle disassembly

outside door handle disassembly

The driver side outside door handle on my 1973 911S is in good shape except for the corroded trigger. Is there anyway to remove the trigger for plating or replacement? Or best just to either live with it or look for a new handle?

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

i dismantled mine to have the trigger and the handle rechromed. I seemed relatively easy to do if a little time consuming but as i was stripping the door completely for restoration, it wasn't a big issue. .

you have to remove the interior trim to get access to the back of the handle. There are 2 nuts, one at either end of the handle. If you undo these from inside the door, the handle lifts off. You then need to retrieve the nuts from the bottom of the door where they will have fallen after you carefully removed them.

On the inside of the handle is an angled piece which is the back side of the key lock. You remove by unscrewing the central screw. As you remove the angled piece there is a small coiled hairspring inside that if you are not careful, flicks out and is easy to lose. Dont flick it out and dont lose it. Instead, make a note of how it sat in the recess in so you can refit it easily. Also, make sure the barrel of the key lock doesnt slide out as it is held in place by the screw you just removed. If it slides out, depending on how freely the lock is working, the 'wafers' in the barrel of the lock can spring out with their activation springs and then you re in trouble trying to a) find the springs, and b) work out which wafer goes in which slot. As you remove the lock barrel, keep your fingers over the wafers and allow them to rise out of their channels but not flick out completely.

The trigger and pushrod assembly can now be unscrewed from the handle itself using the nut you will see.

With the trigger and pushrod removed, you will see that the trigger is held in place by a lateral dowel pin. Drive that out and the trigger is free to remove and rechrome.

Or alternatively, learn to live with it.

Good luck!

Worked perfectly! Thanks very much for the help.

Bob