Thread: 1969 911 master cylinder restoration options?

1969 911 master cylinder restoration options?

i have two 1969 911T master cylinders.

Are they commonly restored or just replaced?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

just replaced.....

Probably depends how anal one gets about originality - if the current replacement option is exactly the same as original (not likely) or you only want something that works no problem. Otherwise gets a stainless sleeve put in with new seals and good to go - not the cheapest option.
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

Safety! The current replacement is identical and made by original manufacturer, ATE. Replace!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Fuller View Post
    Probably depends how anal one gets about originality - if the current replacement option is exactly the same as original (not likely) or you only want something that works no problem. Otherwise gets a stainless sleeve put in with new seals and good to go - not the cheapest option.
    I did the "master cylinder rebuild" once using new stainless steel sleeve, new pistons and seals etc. after 3-4 years had a complete master cylinder failure. brake fluid everywhere, damaged pedal box bushes etc. plus it was "No fun" driving 10 klms thru the city peak hour with "No" brakes other than the hand brake.....
    Last edited by kaufmanp; 01-30-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    Safety! The current replacement is identical and made by original manufacturer, ATE. Replace!
    +1 for sure. Safety first.
    Tom White
    NSDQ

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I wouldn't do it today but I rebuilt dozens of masters in the 70-80's. If the bores were good and would only use ATE kit. My 35 yr old resto has a rebuilt. I regularly flush brake fluid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    I wouldn't do it today but I rebuilt dozens of masters in the 70-80's. If the bores were good and would only use ATE kit. My 35 yr old resto has a rebuilt. I regularly flush brake fluid.
    Ditto.
    As a matter of fact I still have several 30 year-old 914 and 911 ATE kits on the shelf.

It's interesting how the industry and mindset have changed. 30 years ago we never replaced parts that could be properly rebuilt. Now with crazy shop labor rates it no longer makes sense to rebuild parts as long as economical, quality new parts exist. (Although I do remember hearing about a flat-rater at a dealership who would do it in the car without removing the cylinder or lines! Want to know the quickest way to hack a job? Ask the laziest guy in the shop to figure it out!)

I should blow the dust off my brake cylinder hone and show my young guys how to properly hone a cylinder.

Are the ATE replacements really eaxactly the same? Just because they are made by the original manufacturer does not ensure that thay are the same part as supplied when the car was new. Volumes can be written about currrent Porsche supplied parts that bear little resemblance to originals - sure they will work and probably have good quality assurance. Some of us a re a bit funny with irrevelant details....
    Frank, many an hour was spent honing brake components with youthful enthusiasm however I sure dont need to tell you that there is no honing out of rust pits that will result in a cylinder that works.
    Down in the antipodeas where often we could not get new parts or they were too expensive we reconditioned what we had - sleeving of brake componenents is standard procedure. Most cars here require a safety inspection every six moths which involves brake test and comprehensive inspection of brake components - along with suspension, rust lights etc. I can assure you if there were any safety issues with sleeving brake components it would be outlawed here. As an intesting note in the old days it was done in brass however eventually it was concluded brass prematurely wears and its no longer allowed.
    In our business we have never had a faluire of any re sleeved brake components - wish I could say the same about some of the repro parts we have used.
    Dont get me wrong - we still use ATE replacement compontents but if the client requires originalty its more than likely we will recondition.
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

I love southern hemisphere stuff.
    Mark