Thread: Help - Washer Plumbing/Nozzles

Help - Washer Plumbing/Nozzles

I tested the windshield washer system on my '70E project today. I believe I have the plumbing correctly installed and routed (see the photo of my installation).

I found that in order to get the nozzles to spritz, I had clamp off the the bypass return line to the tank. Without the bypass clamped off, the fluid flow would take the path of least resistance and flow back into the tank and not up to the nozzles. The nozzles seem to work just fine with bypass line clamped off .

It seems that the system needs more resistance in the bypass line or less resistance in the nozzle line. Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

I think you are missing a non return(check)valve Tom, or it is faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by 9er View Post
    I think you are missing a non return(check)valve Tom, or it is faulty.
    I have the in-line check valves on the nozzles. Should one of the tee fittings also have a check valve incorporated?
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

The best visual of that plumbing is in the parts book. I believe the only check valve is the one under the nozzle itself.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The best visual of that plumbing is in the parts book. I believe the only check valve is the one under the nozzle itself.
    Are the check valves ahead of the nozzles designed to prevent washer fluid from draining through the feed line back into the tank? It is not clear to me that those check valves would prevent the pump discharge from taking the path of least resistance at the tee and pumping back into the tank through the bypass tube. I am thinking i need some type of flow restrictor in the bypass tubing.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

A T that is at the pump is actually a check valve . It connects the supply line to a return line .The squirters will not work with a normal T . You probably need to get the correct T .

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    A T that is at the pump is actually a check valve . It connects the supply line to a return line .The squirters will not work with a normal T . You probably need to get the correct T .
    My parts diagram did not show a special check valve tee fitting at the pump but I can see why I would need one. I am guessing that the check valve is designed to prevent the discharge flow from the pump heading back to the tank instead of to the nozzles. I’ll see if I have one in my stash and order one from Stoddard if I don’t.

Thanks for all your help guys!
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E