Thread: 3.5 Inch Struts for a 1967 Car - What is needed?

3.5 Inch Struts for a 1967 Car - What is needed?

I'm restoring (sports-purpose, not concours) my Coupe. I purchased a nicely restored set of front calipers for a good price which have 3.5 inch spacing. I haven't been able to find a thread that directly deals with a conversion to use struts with 3.5 inch spacing. What all would be involved in making a change to these large calipers and from what model years would I need to source the parts? What is involved beyond the struts themselves to handle a conversion?
    Scott Bartmess - Mbr. No. 3344
    65 356C Cab
    67 911 Sunroof
    71 914-6
    18 991.2 GT3 Touring
    Seeking Engine Case No. 911867

You could just make new caliper mounting plates as they are separate parts on the struts used up to 1968.

The caliper mounting plate is 901.351.411.13

If you want to change the struts to use later parts with integral 3.5" mounts you will also need to change front control arms and the steering crossmember as the later control arms are incompatible with the 1967 crossmember and the ball joints are totally different.

The height of the steering rack will need to be changed due to the geometry differences that will occur when you fit 1969 or later control arms or you could fit a 1969 or later rack which will also change the steering ratio. The 1969 and later control arms have some anti-dive and the rack changes mounting height by around 8mm.(From memory?)

I would swap out the early camber plates if you fit later struts and the steering rack guard may need to be modified/changed.

If you fit post 1974 control arms you will also need to change the sway bar brackets to use the through body components or fit an underbody sway bar from the later car.

You also need the later wider '69-on front hubs.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Thank you Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
    You could just make new caliper mounting plates as they are separate parts on the struts used up to 1968.

The caliper mounting plate is 901.351.411.13

If you want to change the struts to use later parts with integral 3.5" mounts you will also need to change front control arms and the steering crossmember as the later control arms are incompatible with the 1967 crossmember and the ball joints are totally different.

The height of the steering rack will need to be changed due to the geometry differences that will occur when you fit 1969 or later control arms or you could fit a 1969 or later rack which will also change the steering ratio. The 1969 and later control arms have some anti-dive and the rack changes mounting height by around 8mm.(From memory?)

I would swap out the early camber plates if you fit later struts and the steering rack guard may need to be modified/changed.

If you fit post 1974 control arms you will also need to change the sway bar brackets to use the through body components or fit an underbody sway bar from the later car.
    Scott Bartmess - Mbr. No. 3344
    65 356C Cab
    67 911 Sunroof
    71 914-6
    18 991.2 GT3 Touring
    Seeking Engine Case No. 911867

I just wanted to bring this thread back from the dead as it is something I am looking at doing on my '67 912 and this has been the best bit of information I have been able to find so far on the swap! I just purchased a set of 19mm raised Bilstein struts from an SC that have the 3.5" bolt spacing for the later/larger front calipers, but I am trying to find a little more information still, maybe you guys can help.

Knew this - sourcing a crossmember and a set of control arms from an SC currently.

What is the more favorable recommendation on steering racks? Source a later model steering rack or use the original one from the '67 that's in good shape? I am already sourcing turbo tie rods from Elephant Racing and can easily get the longer ones for an early steering rack and can just add a set of steering rack spacers to the list of items. What would you guys do?

Appreciate the input!