Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May be a future firesale on early cases

May be a future firesale on early cases

All you guys hoarding those early cases may be SOL when this guy gets done. https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ine-cases.html

Ummm .... yeah ... no.

Mag is mag.

Aluminum is aluminum.

Original is original.

People think their cases are worth their weight in gold ... most aren't worth throwing in the scrap heap. I've got about a dozen mag cases ... they're not worth much until you NEED it.

Plus, this guy is gonna charge A LOT.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Banned
    Yawn...

Nothing new here. (Boy that's a long, boring thread.)

This is a great solution for hot rodders and racers but as Marco said, they won't be cheap.

$5k?

Anyone want to wager they're nowhere close to that? I'm betting they will be almost double that when he finally gets his machining bill.

It's not difficult to find a 2.0 alu case for under $6k these days so I believe his small bore market will be limited. I do confess though; I would buy them in a NY minute at $8-10k a copy for race motors. But...

I'll believe these are real when he actually has them in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Joris Koning showed a new 4 cam engine case at a pre Lit meet function.... I didn't take a pic, sorry..
    And Capricorn has been making them for a decade. How many have they ACTUALLY sold?

There’s a market for their stuff but, let’s not kid ourselves, it’s a damn tiny market.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I would personally repo something useful like these

Name:  PastedGraphic-1.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  371.7 KB
    Mark

I keep wondering why Porsche doesn't make any crate motors.
    eric

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ecostellodo View Post
    I keep wondering why Porsche doesn't make any crate motors.
    Crate motors?

Out of what?!

They no longer sell 90% of the parts these old air cooled motors consist of.
    AND if they sold a “crate motor” it would probably cost $70k.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Crate motors?

Out of what?!

They no longer sell 90% of the parts these old air cooled motors consist of.
    AND if they sold a “crate motor” it would probably cost $70k.
    Last time I looked (maybe 20 years ago) a "crate" 911SC motor was $38,000.

Ciao

Jim

In my experience repro parts don't make the original worthless, but they do level the playing field. Like 356 Pre-A/A rear glass reflectors, I can remember when prices were $1200-1500, but then perfect repro's came out. There are guy's who still want the original's but not enough to keep the sky high prices, a decent pair of original's will now bring $500-600. What you always have to remember is the restoration shops will order from Stoddard first and only hunt down original parts if a repro isn't available. So when a repro part becomes available, half your buyers for a real part evaporate. You are left with the guy's who are hunting down dated parts, and correct stuff, but they aren't enough to sustain prices in the stratosphere. The trick if you are in the parts business is to sell most of what you have when prices are good. Guess how many glass reflectors I have? 0. Guess how many Square door handles I have? 0.
    So when these cases hit the market they will affect the price of real cases, but they won't render them worthless.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

"The trick if you are in the parts business is to sell most of what you have when prices are good"

After 50 years, I still haven't learned that lesson

Jim